proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  College Training. Current Lead Tech

mx 3 1995: I just replaced cam seal and after installing it

Customer Question

I just replaced cam seal and after installing it and test drive i found it still leaking. I opened it again and its leaking in the cam seal again. What do you think is problem. Also when i openes it the cam seal looks like it was out a little bit thats why its leaking. Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  proautotech replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a lead technician. I will be helping you today

Did you use liberal amounts of silicone?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i did put any silicone when i install the oil seal. Do i have to put any? In addition i also change the valve cover gasket and have resealed the oil pan before we open the oil seal location.
Okay you will indeed want to use a liberal amount of silicone. Black RTV will do great.

Clean the oil off the seals using carb or brake cleaner. Apply silicone and small amount on the valve cover gasket as well.

Tighten her up and no more leaks will exist.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What if we put silicone and still the problem exist, what do you think will be the problem?
The only way it will leak is if the hole is not sealed.

The seal alone never seals up between the valve cover and head without some silicone. This is very simple to add the silicone and I assure you it will stop it from leaking as long as you have installed the seal in correct way with the silicone!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okey i will do it tomorow and see if it will work. Thanks
You are very welcome.

Let me know how it goes. I will leave this open and you can reply anytime you feel the need.

If you would like me to get credited for my time. Leaving a positive rating is required.