The Audi Doctor
The Audi Doctor, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained

WRX: 2006 WRX--I installed a new cold air intake, and rushing

Customer Question

2006 WRX--I installed a new cold air intake, and rushing disconnected the MaF sensor without disconnecting the battery. The car then was spuddering and couldn't even keep an idol. I ordered a new MaF thinking that was the problem. With the new one now installed it is doing the exact same thing. The REALLY wierd thing is that without the MaFsensor connect the car runs almost perfectly minus idoling at 11-13.5 fuel air ratio. i took it around the block had it in 3 gears and got the turbo spooled up and it appears to not even miss its MaF sensor minus the rich idoling burn... SO CONFUSED!
Category: Car
Expert:  The Audi Doctor replied 4 years ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer and for your query. Yes, I can help you.

Sometimes when doing things like you did some electrons get stuck in the system and mess with the adaptations. I suggest you try a “capacitance discharge“. If you remove the battery terminals from the battery and connect or jump them together, turn on the key to the "on" position for about 1 minuet, turn off the key, then reconnect the terminals to the battery. Now turn the key to the on position, but do not start or touch the gas pedal. Wait about 15 seconds and then start the vehicle.

If this does not correct the condition I suggest you have the computer scanned for any stored fault codes. Erase the codes, and contact me here with the codes and I will further assist you. But first try the Capacitance Discharge. You would be (will be) amazed at how many weird electrical conditions it corrects. It’s kind of like “rebooting” a computer.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED. Please rate my answer as OK, GOOD, or EXCELLENT. With a lower rating I will not be compensated. Please contact me with your concerns if you can not rate my answer OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT.

Thank You!
Jake “The Auto Doctor”