proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  College Training. Current Lead Tech

I have a 1998 Isuz Rodeo with 189,000 miles. It is burning fuel like crazy. Otherwise t

I have a 1998 Isuz Rodeo with 189,000 miles. It is burning fuel like crazy. Otherwise the truck runs smoothly. The OBDII codes are P0158 Bank 2 Sensor 2 and P0154 Bank 2 Sensor 1.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a lead technician. I will be helping you today

Have you replaced any of the O2 sensors?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have replaced all 4 O2 sensors with universal ones.

And these codes returned after replacement?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes. I have had the codes reset 3 times and they come right back. I have also replaced the EGR valve and reset the ECU and the problem still remains.

What engine do you have?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

v6 3.2L manual transmission

On the manual bank 1 sensor 1 is the right front O2 sensor and bank 2 sensor 1 is the left front O2 sensor. Bank 1 sensor 2 is the O2 sensor in front of the single catalytic converter and bank 1 sensor 3 is the O2 sensor behind the catalytic converter. Verify the O2 sensors are plugged in correctly by unplugging one at a time and watching the scan tool to see what sensor will stay at 0.45 volts. If the rear sensor is unplugged and the front sensor changes on the scan tool, then the connectors are swapped. Properly connect the O2 sensors and clear any codes. Test drive the vehicle to verify the driveability problems are corrected and that the codes do not return.

If they are plugged in properly than the aftermarket sensors are not acceptable for this application. I have found this happen a few times. The computer rejects the voltages they are for.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

There dont seem to be any Isuzu dealers left here in Maryland. Can I got to a Honda dealer and get the O2 sensors from there since Isuzu Rodeo and Honda passport are the same truck?

Yes or you can order them online for less and speed up shipping.

Part # XXXXX(NNN) NNN-NNNNa href="" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So I am guessing that since the four O2 sensors I purchased were universal that unless they were not fully connected then there is no need to run a test to see if they are in the right banks since any one of them should fit all of the banks. So as it stands I will have to order the sensors and wait for them to arrive. So what if I still get the error after replacing the other sensors can I continue to correspond with you or do I have to spend more money? Should I just replace the two that are giving me the error code or all 4 of them?

You can always reply.

You only need the two that are giving you the codes.

You never have to spend anymore funds to reply.

I will leave this open for you to always reply.

Just take a moment to leave a positive rating.

But also you do not need to return if the problem is rosolved if you do not want to.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So I went to the link that you sent to me but that was for 2001 Isuzu Vehicross and I have 1998 Isuzu Rodeo V6 3.2L. When I went to search on the site my exact vehicle match it just showed me aftermarket O2 sensors which is what I already have.

The link is the correct one.

This sensor works with multiple applications.(NNN) NNN-NNNNincuding your vehicle.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So , we have determined that an aftermarket sensor is not suitable for my vehicle. My question is what is the difference between the aftermarket sensors I already purchased and the ones I am about to purchase from

The stock ones are made to work on the vehicle. The aftermarket ones can work on many vehicles. So you either have to much voltage that is out of range or the wiring is different not working like it should
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So you are saying that sells stock parts even though they said they were aftermarket? I just want to clairify before I buy because my pockets are small and I just dont want buy something that wastes my money AND they have a 20% restock fee. Please explain in layman's terms.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Update. I ordered the two 02 sensors from the link you sent me from US Parts. The Bosch one arrived next day after ordering but the other one arrived today I will hopefully get them installed by tomorrow. I ordered one of each, one for the left forward of the catalytic converter and the other is left after the catalytic converter. One is Bosch brand (the aft converter) and the other is labeled REPLACEMENT for the forward. I am hoping and praying that this works. Will keep you posted. Please tell me I ordered the right ones.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

On Your Order:

Part #:
1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS 6
Cyl 3.2L Replacement Oxygen Sensor Oxygen Sensor

Part #:
1998 Isuzu Rodeo LS 6 Cyl 3.2L
Bosch Oxygen Sensor Oxygen Sensor Rodeo

$ 36.95

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok got the oxygen sensors installed and the check engine came bacj on in about 4 minutes.
What are the codes you have now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will have to take it to auto zone today. will let you know shortly.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. Now I have 4 codes.

P0134 oxygen sensor circuit no activity detected bank 1 sensor 1

P0401 exhaust gas recirculation flow insufficient detected

P0135 oxygen sensor heater bank 1 sensor 1

P0141 oxygen sensor heater circuite bank 1 sensor 2

What? So now I have to replace the bank 1 sensors???????

Did you replace the bank 1s before?

If they are disconnected it will also do the same thing.

But if they are connected than replace them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced all 4 sensors in March with universal ones. So as I shiwed you in a previous message, I did get the right sensors this yime. you never answered about that.
Yes you got the right ones this time. But if you did not use the correct ones for the other side you will have to replace them as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well I just received my second set of O2 sensors on Saturday and had them installed. Check engine light went out after being on for 3 years!!! Im hoping this eliminates the fuel consumption problem.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok took the truck for emissions test today and it failed. Even though the check engine light is not on the truck still has a DTC of P0401 Exhaust Gas Recirculation A Flow Insufficient Detected. Now what?