AMD, Master Technician
Experience:  L1 Advanced Level Diagnostics Specialist

Kia Optima 2004 2.4l :It started with replacing the head gasket,

Kia Optima 2004 2.4l :It started with replacing the head gasket, So i changed timming A. the car ran for two week and stop. I figured it had something to do with fuel problem, so put a new fuel pump/ filter.,I put a OBD2 tool on it came back got crank shaft sensor, circuit A. I also got Crank position sensorit and i replaced it. now i open it up and find out timming belt B needs to be replaced. i just found out that the timming belt and the balance belt need to be replaced at the same time. I got it back together all marks line up and i car crank over but, it didn't startup. the engine wants to start. The OBD2; keeps comming back my circuit A sensor. believe that I have belt B clocked right. It aslo tested a lot of connections and fueses.I need HELP with this car. A.S.A.P.
Hello and thank you for trusting us with your Car question, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

When you took out the timing belt out, did you put back the sensing plate for the crank sensor? When you took it out again, did you see if it's placed correctly and if it's not damaged?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i just put on the timimg belt and belt b. everything was aline. i didnt put nothen eles on. No pullies and tryed to fire it up. after i replace belt b. there was no damage to it.

Did you try to erase the code and try again?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes. and it still pop up the code.

OK, when you replaced the sensor, did you verify that all the wiring is good? Do you have a multimeter so we can run some tests?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes. i tested itand just about all the other wiring. i could not find the master relay or fuel pump relay.

OK let me recap a few things,

Are you sure that both timing belts are lined up correctly or do you need instructions on how they line up?

Where did you buy the crank sensor from?

Also did you check the resistance of the crank sensor from the wires to the engine ecu to make sure that you don't have a damaged wire?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

on the smaller belt, belt b. there is a mark on the engine and a white dot on the gear but im not sure if thats my mark that on the gear. as for the timing belts everything was alined. i bought the crank sensor from the dealership.
i tested the wires from the engine and when i plug up the meter i can hear a noise coming from glove conpartment.

OK use these pictures and see if you timed it the same

FOr timing belt b:

For the main timing belt:

For the cam sprockets it's pretty straight forward and I couldn't find a picture of the marks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

so when i aline all this stuff and it still doesnt work. could there be another problem..also is there a master relay on this type of cars, i dont know. i checked the fuse box and did not see anything.

Well the relay is irrelevant in this case, we have a code for a crank position sensor, by the way what's the code number? The crank position sensor will prevent the car from starting.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i dont have on me but i think po335 crank position sensor circut a.

OK we will need to run some tests on the wire harness, Are you sure that the sensor is seated properly? Are you sure that the connections for the sensor are properly connected and that no rust exists on the vehicle side of the connector?

Also do you have a multimeter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i cnt run a test just yet. im not with the car.i know the sensor is seated correctly, i checked the connections for rust. on the end of the connection im checking for volts right and on the sensor ohms.

OK we will need to be near the vehicle to check the signal, do you think you can be near the vehicle so we can run the tests?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

its across town sorry. just give me the info and i would have to applay it later.

OK turn the key to the off position then connect your volt meter to the purple wire and the black wire then turn the key on, you should get battery voltage there, these wires are found on the connector of the crank sensor on the vehicle side not the sensor side. let's start with this. let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thanks. it be later on. but i will test them. thanks for the help. i will make sure that givr you a good rate sir.

You're welcome. I just hope we find the problem soon so you can have your car back on the road.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

lol..forsure its the thorn in my ass..

I know, Hopefully we'll figure it out soon.