proautotech
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  College Training. Current Lead Tech
67965572

A/C works fine when starting in the morning. It will run till you slow down or stop. Then

Customer Question

A/C works fine when starting in the morning. It will run till you slow down or stop. Then it starts blowing hot air and won't work right till it cools down. If it's hot outside +90 degrees it just blows hot air. Then sometimes the blower will be running but nothing coming out of the vents. I think it's all blowing under the dash somewhere.
Category: Car
Expert:  proautotech replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a lead technician. I will be helping you today

When the problem occurs can you tell if the compressor stops running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes it stops

Okay we could have 2 seperate issues.

So only sometimes it stops blowing out of the vents correct?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes sometime it blows out the vents, sometime its blowing up in the dash but when it dose that its blowing hot air not cool air

What engine do you have?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

2.4

You are looking at a faulty expansion valve.

You will need to replace it.

To do this you have to remove all the refrigerant out of the system. Replace than recharge system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Where is the expansion valve located?

You can access the image and steps by clicking here.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll try that, Thanks

You are welcome.

Please remember to leave a positive rating.

Thanks and have a great labor day!
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience: College Training. Current Lead Tech
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

now that the weather has cooled down I find that the heater doesn't work either. Thought it was but its just blowing hot outside air. So it can't be the expansion value that only runs the A/C. I think it has to be a sensor or something temperature controled. If its cold out you have A/C if its hot you have heat but it won't work the other way around.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Relist: Other. no reply

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

now that the weather has cooled down I find that the heater doesn't work either. Thought it was but its just blowing hot outside air. So it can't be the expansion value that only runs the A/C. I think it has to be a sensor or something temperature controlled. If its cold out you have A/C if its hot you have heat but it won't work the other way around.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no reply
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Different expert here.So the issues is now the air will it change from hot to cold or just stay one temperature?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

If it is cool out in the morning the A/C will work fine till you stop or slow down in traffic then it blows outside air. The heater only works when its hot out and its really hot. When neither is working and you move the temp selector it will change some warm to cool but not a big difference. Hope this answers your question.

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Ok the issue is the air/mix motor was this checked?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no I don't think it was checked. Where is it and how do you check it?

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
It's located under the dash and it needs to checked manually when switching from hot to cold to see if there operating. This is what needs to needs checked for this issue. Hoped this helped. Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help thanks! Bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Checked the air/mix motor everything is working fine. The doors move freely. I find anything wrong there. Its 70 degrees this morning the A/C works great. I turned the A/C off and move the temp selector from cold to hot. When in the hot position I only have warm air maybe 80 degrees. Any other ideals?

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Has to be a stuck blend door and if the air mix motor is actually moving there can be an issue with the heater control outside the vehicle or the heater control panel itself or a shorted outside ambient temperature sensor .These are what need to be focused on next .Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

The a/c heater control in the dash has been replaced. Where is the heater control out side the vehicle and the outside ambient temperature sensor.

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
There is a hot water valve located under the hood by the passenger firewall.The outside ambient temperature sensor it located under the hood by the hood latch .These are what need to be checked next .Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help anything lower leaves me negative feedback thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks, I will check these this afternoon and let you know in the morning.

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Ok please dont forget to rate excellent service so I get credit for my help.Thanks!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I had to order the outside ambient temperature sensor won't be in till Friday. Going to try that first. Will get back to you soon as I get it. Thanks.

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Anytime. Please rate excellent service so I get credit for my help thanks! Bonuses greatly appreciated.