Auto Psychic
Auto Psychic, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  semi retired mercedes benz master guild technician
59210310

rio

I have a 2005 Kia Rio with 170,000 miles on it that I bought for my wife to drive to school. However, the car has problems and I knew it when I bought it. So, these are the codes.

P0170 - Fuel trim bank 1 - too rich too lean
P0507 - IAC system - RPM higher than expected
P0301,P0302,P0303,P0304,P0300 - Misc. misfire and misfire in all cylinders.

THIS IS WHAT I HAVE DONE SO FAR.
-I have cleaned the IAC and it was opening and closing ok.
-I cleaned the throttle body.
-I have re-gapped the plugs to .030 from .040-.045.
-I do have spark in all cylinders.
-Compression test showed that all cylinders are within 10% of 135psi.
-Performed a back pressure test which showed <1psi @ idle and at a somewhat steady 2500rpm, however when revving I can the back pressure up to about 6psi but then it comes right back down.
However, I took off the short section of exhaust pipe that has the downstream O2 sensor on it and discovered that the catalytic convertor is cleaned out completely. I had done this before to a mustang and it ran OK with the exception of the bad sounding exhaust, but could the lack of the catalytic material cause these symptoms?
- I have found documentation of the timing belt being replaced about 30,000 miles ago.
I checked to make sure that the two cam marks ar lined up and they are, but I cant see the crank mark.

THESE ARE THE SYMPTOMS
The car will start up fine, in the garage it runs a little rough like misses. It will rev fine but it wont hold a steady RPM, it drops out.
When driving the car it will cut out for the first couple of miles and then if I come to a stop it will take forever to get back up to speed. It boggs down and will eventually stall. If I am on even a slight hill, it will not make it. I have had to back down the hill and do a K turn into a side street and find another way home.
It feels like my 88 mustang that had a bad Ignition Control Module and my 91 Camaro that had a bad injector.
I have no idea what else to do without throwing parts at it. I bought a new IACV and TPS but I don't want to put them in because the two of them were $200.00 and I am not convinced that they need to be replaced.

HELP THAT I HAVE GOTTEN SO FAR
I have already talked with one mechanic and he gave me the diagnostic charts for the P300 and P500 codes and advised me to check for vacuum leaks. However, I need to get my hands on a scan tool to perform the tests on the charts.

Country: United States
Make (manufacturer): Kia
Model: Rio
Year: 2005
Engine (optional): 1.6

Auto Psychic :

hi, i'll be happy to help in any way i can.

sorry to hear of your misfortune :(

thats a lot of miles for an 8 year old kia.

they didnt build them as well as they do now.

having said that, the most common cause of all that you describe is a bad mass air flow sensor.

the gutted cat i should think would also be of concern, re: your next smog test.

also the back pressure, pieces of the previously plugged cat clogging the exhaust system??

does that help?

Customer:

Yes that is a lot of miles.

I went to a yard and pulled a mass airflow sensor off of an 03. Will that one match up with mine, it looks identical but the numbers are not the same.

The back pressure, the results that I got are they indicating excessive backpressure or is it normal for the backpressure to climb when revving and then drop. At steady idle it stays at or about 1psi.

Customer:

Also, is there anyway that I can test my MAFS on the car?

Customer:

I have tried to reply, but I have not gotten a response

Customer:

no reply

Auto Psychic :

poor service, ouch, because i'm not around on a holiday.

anyway, the maf sensor should be ok.

stills sounds like a lot of back pressure, i think i'd like to run it with the exhaust unorked and the maf sensor, just to see where were at.

thank you for trusting the auto [email protected]/pearl, always happy to help, gary
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No thanks

any luck?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I ordered a catalytic converter. Should be here by the end of this week.