Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.

I own a 06 Susuki XL7 premium. Yesterday, we were hailed by

I own a 06 Susuki XL7 premium. Yesterday, we were hailed by a driver who said our back wheel was loose. I jacked the car up and finding that the wheel wasn't loose, I changed it with the spare in case the rim was bent. I had my wife drive forward and saw that there is a wobble in my back wheel. Could this be the drum, the hub, or the axel? You helped my in July with our air conditioner and it worked out great. Thanks, Jason
Hi,for the wheel to wobble this is a indication of the hub bearing coming apart and in need of replacement ,now this is the case as long as there has been no collision or impact of any kind but you or your wife would have known this. The two parts that are going to make the wheel wobble would be the hub bearing or rim and by putting on the spare this eliminated the rim.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike.

Do I have to pull the axel to chang the bearing and if so do you by chance have scimatic I could see? I have a PDF service manual put am haveing a hard time pin pointing bearing removal and replasment.

The axle does not have to be removed but the axle nut does.Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.

• Raise vehicle and remove rear wheels.
  • Un caulk rear axle nut.
  • Pull up parking brake lever fully and remove rear axle nut.
  • Remove rear break shoe
  • Disconnect brake line from wheel cylinder and put wheel cylinder bleeder plug cap onto line to prevent fluid from spilling.
  • Loosen parking cable cap nut.
  • Removal rear wheel hub housing bolts and then remove rear wheel hub assembly and back plate.

Install rear wheel assembly and back plate to rear suspension knuckle and tighten rear wheel hub housing bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).

• Tighten parking cable cap nut to 8 ft. lbs. (11 Nm).
  • Connect brake line to wheel cylinder and tighten brake line flare nut to 12 ft. lbs. (16 Nm). and install bleeder plug cap taken off line back to bleeder plug.
  • Install rear break shoe.
  • Pull up parking brake lever fully and tighten new rear axle nut to 145 ft. lbs. (200 Nm).
  • Caulk rear axle nut.
  • Fill reservoir with brake fluid and bleed brake system.
  • Upon completion of all jobs, depress brake pedal with about 66 ft. lbs.(30 kg). load three to five times so as to obtain proper drum-to-shoe clearance. Adjust parking brake cable.
  • Install rear wheels.
  • Check to ensure that brake drum is free from dragging and proper braking is obtained.
  • Check brake line and bleeder for any fluid leaks.