Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as a auto mechanic,foreign and domestic.5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

2500HD: 2002 duramax 3rd starter. When I try starting i get

2002 duramax 3rd starter. When I try starting i get a grinding noise quit walk away come back five minutes later starts right away anybody have any idea
Hi,how are you?These vehicles have a history of the flywheel cracking and the teeth of the flywheel prematurely wearing allowing the starter not to make a good contact,has anyone checked this if not,the starter needs to be removed and the flywheel rotated completely around and while visually inspecting the flywheel.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Flywheel has been checked
Ok,where are you purchasing the starters?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Advanced auto
Ok,This needs to be a a/c delco starter on this unit,the after market starters are not going to hold up with this vehicle.The only reason you will get the grinding noise is the flywheel or the starter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wat about electrical

The electrical will not generally cause the grinding noise,the electrical will cause the solenoid to not engage or stay engaged but will not make the grinding noise.If the solenoid stays engaged it will make a whirling type sound but the sound will be clear that the starter is not engaging.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The weird thing is when it gets to grinding like that and it does it every time you hook jumper cables up to another vehicle it starts perfect
That tells me that there is a issue with the starter not spinning fast enough,i have not had any luck with starters on these vehicles if they are not a/c delco.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So your saying still the starter
Thats correct
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its not consisten on the grinding noise
Thats why i was asking about the flywheel because if the flywheel had a bad spot this would not occur every time,but since the flywheel has been eliminated this brings us back to the starter.