Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.
10906483

Sedona: I have an 04 kia sedona which is wearing the RR tire

Customer Question

I have an 04 kia sedona which is wearing the RR tire down on the inside. I took a bubble level and compared set one side on the ground and held it vertical to the tire the top of the RR tire is over an inch away from the level (top of the tire is in towards the body) when the LR tire is damn near flush and is in contaxt with the level the whole way.

Its clear to me something is bent. Question is seeing this van is a straight rear axle can it be bent and straightened? If so by who?

Looking for mainly kia specific tech answers and input.

Thanks!
Category: Car
Expert:  Dj replied 4 years ago.

Dj :

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm Dj.

Wow. That's a large amount of error on the rear suspension.

You cannot straighten a suspension component. It will get what's called "work hardened." This will make the metal brittle and unpredictable. In other words, it will fail when you least expect it.

The way to deal with this is to jack up the back and and compare the gaps and distances on the left side and compare it to the right side. This will help to determine exactly what is bent and needs to be replaced. If the axle is bent, you can expect some of the other components to be bent also.

Used parts should be easy to find and fairly cheap. Most collisions are front and rear of the car, not the side of the car. So there should be a good selection of parts available.

You will have to bolt on the parts (if you are doing this yourself) and then have it aligned when you are finished.

Please let me know if you have any questions on this or if there is anything more I can do for you.

Dj

Customer : I cant see what you posted. Please send me your answer in traditional form and.not this live chat thing
Expert:  Dj replied 4 years ago.

Dj