internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.

I have been a Subaru Outback driver for 30 years and love them.

I have been a Subaru Outback driver for 30 years and love them. Recently my 10 year old Outback with 230,000 miles was totaled in an accident. I drive 30 miles one way to work, on country roads. I drive about 2,500 miles a month. I would like to buy a hybrid. I live In Wisconsin where we have a real snowy winter and I am concerned about the ground clearance under 7 inches. I don't like an SUV. I do like a wagon. I transport 3 grandchildren around frequently. Can you help me identify a hybrid with adequate ground clearance that isn't an SUV? Is there a website that helps me see the ground clearance and should I consider a diesel instead of a hybrid?
Category: Car
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

internal88 :

Hello and good morning

internal88 :

Are you set on only hybrid and diesel vehicles?

internal88 :

what is your budget?

Customer:

I would like to find one that fits my needs, since I drive a lot mileage is important to me. If I can't find one that fits my needs, I will get something else.

I can spend up to $25,000 and I would like to buy a car with 30,000 miles. So I don't need to buy new.

internal88 :

The new Subaru legacy is 32 MPG comparing to the hybrid vehicle which one give you 38-40 mpg.

internal88 :

Would you consider another Subaru but it is not hybrid.

internal88 :

I do have some hybrid in mind but they are not wagon.

internal88 :

Many of the hydrid are low in clearance.

internal88 :

Chevrolet malibu hybrid

internal88 :

buick Larcrosse

internal88 :

This one will fit all your needs

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid is an all-new vehicle.

Customer:

I don't have to have a wagon. I was thinking about the Passat wagon, the Jetta wagon,

What is the clearance on those? Also what is the clearance on the two you mentioned?

internal88 :

for the passat Ground clearance: 5.4 in.

internal88 :

edmunds.com is a good site for finding out details specification.

Customer:

What is the clearance on a ford fusion, or the Prius V?

Customer:

What is the clearance on the Ford C Max?

internal88 :

5.5 in for the prius.

internal88 :

fusion - not available.

internal88 :

C max 5.4 inches

Customer:

I don't think 5.4 or 5.5 is enough. That is the problem with hybrids I guess.

What about diesels, are their clearance just as low?

internal88 :

let me see

internal88 :

only the passat that is under 25k dollars

internal88 :

golf gti but it is too small

internal88 :

yes

Customer:

Does Lexus make a good hybrid? I thought they did, but I can't figure out which one it is of their models.

Maybe a Lexus is too expensive.

Does volvo make a hybrid? Why doesn't Subaru make a hybrid or diesel.

internal88 :

The I series which is too low

internal88 :

And all the other hybrid are near 40k miles

internal88 :

40,000 dollars

internal88 :

Subaru does not offer a hybrid or diesel.

internal88 :

no hybrid for volvo

Customer:

So what do you suggest? I have been studying this for 6 weeks and just can't come up with the right car for me. I test drove the prius, camry, fusion, escape, civic and none of them seem to have enough clearance.

I think the prius V has 6.1 inches. Maybe that is enough. I think I have 7.3 on my current subaru outback.

internal88 :

I know wisconsin have heavy snow storm

internal88 :

Since you drive a lot , the prius is not going to help you.

internal88 :

I would suggest to get another subaru

internal88 :

That is my professional advice.

Customer:

Why is the prius not good for driving a lot, it gets very good mileage.

internal88 :

It give good gas mileage but it is not good for the snow.

Customer:

What is the ground clearance on a Subaru Legacy?

I understand your professional advice is to get a Subaru, but my question is really about hybrids.

internal88 :

If is snow is not the issue then the Prius is best hybrid out there.

Customer:

Is the camry better in the snow? Lots of people drive them. I know I am used to the Subaru and will like it, but I wanted to get a hybrid.

internal88 :

Hybrid is good in the snow but it is not as good as the Subaru.

Customer:

Do you think diesels are worth considering?

internal88 :

Overall the Camry is not bad at all for 4 seasons.

Customer:

I think the clearance is 6 for the camry. can you find out for sure?

internal88 :

6.1

internal88 :

for sure

Customer:

Is the Prius V higher than that?

internal88 :

5.5

internal88 :

The camry is higher

Customer:

ok. I think you have answered my questions and I think I can go forward my choices will be the Camry or the Subaru. Thank you. I have taken a lot of your time.

internal88 :

Both cars here are good choices.

internal88 :

You're welcome

internal88 :

please don't forget to rate me thanks.

internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.