GearheadBrown
GearheadBrown, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 Years various auto repair and diagnosis. Nissan Specialist technician. ASE Master certified.

2000 Corvette C6 really hard to shift , It does not move freely take

Customer Question

2000 Corvette C6 really hard to shift , It does not move freely takes muscle to shift.
Category: Car
Expert:  GearheadBrown replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like your Corvette is equipped with a manual transmission.
If this is the case, then it is possible that your clutch is not disengaging completely.

An easy way to tell if this is the case, is to shut the engine off, push in the clutch, and see how hard it is to move the shifter between the gears. If there is much less resistance, then your clutch is hanging up. Possible causes for the clutch to not release completely range from air in the line between the master and slave cylinder, to a failed pressure plate.

I would begin by checking for fluid leaks around the slave cylinder, then bleeding the lines and re test.

If your vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission, then the first step would be to remove the console around the shifter, and check for any sticky residue that could have gotten inside and hang things up.

If you need further assistance, I check back as often as possible to follow up.
I am still here to help any way I can. More details about the vehicle would help tremendously in resolving the problem you are experiencing.
GearheadBrown, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10 Years various auto repair and diagnosis. Nissan Specialist technician. ASE Master certified.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did not say grinding gears, 6Speed hard to move shift lever , Do not take my money ... Thank you...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok My wife cannot shift with one hand-It takes both , she has a 02 Dodge Dually 6 speed so her being unable to shift is not the issue. Vett does not grind , goes in all gears .

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

there is no more shifter is extremely hard to move

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

mabey you are not a corvette transmission guy , you re not telling me anything a person with basic mechanics can do , I can get these answers from my friends for free . please refund my money

I'm sorry for the confusion, however, I was not under the assumption that the transmission was grinding.

Have you checked how the shifter moves through the gears with the engine off? A clutch that is not disengaging completely will sometimes make shifting hard, while not causing the gears to grind. There are a few things that can cause a hard shift condition. However it is best to start with the simplest possible cause, and come to a conclusion through a process of elimination. A clutch that is not completely disengaging can cause the symptom you have described. By shifting through the gears with the engine off, and the clutch pressed in, we can eliminate the possibility of your clutch or clutch hydraulic system having failed.

Please perform this test and get back to me, and we can move on to the next step in diagnosing your concern. Your satisfaction is my priority.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no change

Is the problem occurring for all gear changes? These transmissions have a "skip shift" system installed in them. The skip shift will attempt to force you from 1st to 4th gear when vehicle speed is between 15-19mph and less than 21% of throttle is applied.

There only other thing to check that will be simple would be the shift linkage itself.
Remove the shift boot, it will pop off of the console by pushing the sides in towards the shifter to release the tabs.

Next remove the shift rod clamp bolt to release the transmission shift rod from the shift control. Remove the rod to separate any linkage from the transmission to the shifter. Now take note in how hard it is to move the shifter when it is detached from the transmission. If it is now easy, then your problem will be inside the transmission unit itself. If it is still hard to move the shifter, then you can either disassemble the unit, clean/re-grease, and see if that helps, or replace the unit.

Other than that, if the problem doesn't occur when engine is off, then we can rule an partial disengagement of the clutch. We have also isolated the problem to the transmission unit itself by disconnecting the shift linkage.

Finally I would recommend you check the transmission fluid next. The condition of the transmission fluid can be a good indicator of what is going on inside. If the fluid is dirty with metal contamination, then the transmission will most likely need to be removed and overhauled. However, sometimes a simple transmission fluid replacement can work wonders in shift quality, without breaking the bank.

The fill and drain plugs are marked. Place the vehicle on jack stands and remove the drain plug. Be sure to collect the fluid for inspection, and re-fill with new Dexron-VI fluid until fluid starts coming out of the fill hole, replace the plug and your done. If the problem still is not resolved, or has not improved, then the transmission most likely will need to be overhauled.

If you have further questions, please ask.