internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.
63512786

Land Rover Discovery: 96 land rover discovery have codes p0340

Customer Question

96 land rover discovery have codes p0340 camshaft position sensor A-bank 1 circuit malfunction and p1138
Category: Car
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

internal88 : Hello and welcome
internal88 : P1138 - You are getting air fuel ratio is rich codes because of unburnt fuel being sent downstream from incomplete combustion.Once that is done then clear your codes and see if they come back.
internal88 : You need to replace the ignition wires and plugs. Use oe parts.
internal88 : P0340 is the cam sensor, that is near the cam gear.
internal88 : Im going to get some pictures for you
internal88 : Give me a few minutes
Customer:

I will change those out this weekend. Problem I started with wass going dowm highway if I tried to go over 65 mph engine acted like it was missing. Could plugs and wires possibly fix that?

l

internal88 : Yes sir
internal88 : I will be right back just hold on please.
internal88 :

Champion RN11YCC - spark plugs

internal88 :

http://www.parts.com/parts/1996/LAND%20ROVER/DISCOVERY/?siteid=2&vehicleid=1187119&section=ELECTRICAL&group=IGNITION%20SYSTEM

internal88 :

This site sells OE parts with competitive pricing

internal88 :

Full Size Image

internal88 :

This is the cam sensor picture.

internal88 :

To sum it up: Change the plugs, ignition wires first and air filter. Recommend OE products.

internal88 :

Reset the computer by removing negative cable for 30 sec and reconnect.

internal88 :

Test drive and you will be ok.

internal88 :

Let me know if this help.

internal88 :

Don't forget to rate me excellent please.

internal88 :

Thanks.

internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Finally got plugs and wires changed. It is better than it was. Codes were cleared and took for a ride again Seems to struggle when
I step on the gas hard. Rechecked codes now have p0420 and p0430 any ideas ?

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the updates. I will get back to you on the codes.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

P0420 code Catalyst Efficiency Low Fault Bank A
P0430 code Catalyst Efficiency Low Fault Bank B

Before spending money on a new catayatic converter and oxygen sensors. Make sure there is no exhaust leak in the exhaust system. Inspect the exhaust manifold gasket and converter. You can block the exhaust with a wood and see if there is gas coming up of the pipe. If there is a leak fix it. If there is no leak then change the oxygen sensors after the cat.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try that this weekend working alot of overtime on third shift so dont have a lot of time. Please hang in their with me

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
Ok, will do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Finally got the o-2 sensors in the mail and installed. Also checked for leaks couldnt find any. Just drove it about five miles and everything seemed ok. Turned around and got back on highway. Started stuttering again any speed over 65. Got back home and got Code P1138. Need more help

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
I will look in to it.
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

The next step will be more in depth and require for an automotive diagnostic equipment scan tool made by Snap-On or equivalent. It is a handheld monitor machine that is telling you what exactly all the sensors are doing. This machine is expensive but if can borrow one it will be great.

I am assuming you have changed all the parts that I suggested beside both rear oxygen sensors.

The P1138 was triggered due the oxygen sensors sending over the OE specification values.

Good oxygen sensors voltage should be switching between 0V and 5V under normal closed loop fuelling control. If the sensor is not seen switching, snap open the throttle. The sensor should then be seen to start switching. PASS VALUES: Sensor voltage should switch between 0V and 5V.

Change the front oxygen sensors if the values are over the limit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry takes so long to get back to you. I took it to a land rover dealer and had it checked. They say the camshaft positon sensor is bad is the only thing that shows up. Need your advice they quoted 840.00 for part.

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.
I will get back to you with the information tonight or morning .
Brandon
Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

According to ALLDATA the standard labor rate for cam position sensor replacement is only 1.0 hour MAX.

The part only cost is $410. The part number is NSC100840. Parts.com is 330.29.

The sensor is located Lower Front Of Engine Near Oil Filter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I changed out the camshaft sensor and cleared code. Test drove today and still have problem. Got home and checked for codes. Got P0340 Camshaft position sensor A Bank 1 Circuit malfunction and 2nd code pending P1138 Any help will be greatly appreciated

Expert:  internal88 replied 1 year ago.

P0340- The vehicle's computer is detecting the engine timing is off. The next component to inspect is the flywheel for missing tooth and the crankshaft sensor itself.

The crankshaft position sensor is the most important sensor on the engine. It is located in the left hand side of the flywheel housing and uses a different thickness of spacer for manual and automatic gearboxes.
The signal it produces informs the ECM:

• The engine is turning.
  • How fast the engine is turning.
  • Which stage the engine is at in the cycle.

I hope you have access to an on board diagnostic computer so you can see what is going on with the oxygen sensors. I don't want to advise you to replace any sensors yet until the P0340 is fixed. The P0340 does have affect on the P1138 code.

Below are the OE reference ranges for the oxygen sensors. If the values are over or under specifications then you have a bad oxygen sensor.

Left Front Oxygen Sensor

• The oxygen sensor voltage should be switching between 0V and 5V under normal closed loop fuelling control.
  • If the sensor is not seen switching, snap open the throttle. The sensor should then be seen to start switching. PASS VALUES: Sensor voltage should switch between 0V and 5V .

Right Front Oxygen Sensor

Left Rear Oxygen Sensor

Right Rear Oxygen Sensor