Auto_Enlightenment
Auto_Enlightenment, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Technician

ive got a k reg proton automatic 1.6 the garage said the big

Customer Question

ive got a k reg proton automatic 1.6 the garage said the big ends are knocking & they would have to take the engine out for inspection for other problems therefore it would be better to buy a new car, the car has been running ok with no noise sinse topping up the oil, is it worth getting another garage to take a look
Category: Car
Expert:  Auto_Enlightenment replied 1 year ago.

Auto_Enlightenment :

Hello I'm a Master Tech. and I can help. Please continue our chat and refrain from rating until satisfied. I'd like to do some Q&A first if that's ok.

Auto_Enlightenment :

Are you saying you never noticed the engine knocking as the garage is telling you? Why was it taken to the garage in the first place? If you have rods knocking you would certainly know it. It sounds sort of like knocking on wood. Have you heard any sound like this?

Customer:

i noticed an ovious noise 2 days before taking to the garage but after topping up oil noise has gone the noise happened 5days ago

Auto_Enlightenment :

Was it a ticking/tapping type of noise or a loud knocking noise? I know noises can be hard to describe.

Customer:

a loud noise possibly knocking

Auto_Enlightenment :

How low was your oil, how much did you have to add to top it off?

Customer:

oil was dry

Auto_Enlightenment :

Like no oil on the dipstick? Do you kno whow much oil was added?

Customer:

garage topped 2 litres

Auto_Enlightenment :

Ok. Here is my take on the matter. If you had a rod knocking, it would continue to knock and would not go away regardless of the oild level. If your noise is gone since topping th oil off then I suspect you had some type of mechanical noise in the valve train etc from the lack of hydraulic pressure to key parts of the motor. If it is not making noise now that the oil is full then I would continue to keep an eye on your oil level to make sure it stays full and keep driving the car. There is no sense in tearing the motor down or buying a new car if it is running without noise now.

That's not to say that there hasn't been internal damage/premature wear due to running low on oil but only time will tell. If you keep it full of oil and the noise does not return then I would get the most I could out of the car without spending big money to have the engine removed for internal inspection. As long as it is running noise free then I would let it be. Just keep the oil full and if it starts making noise again then you may want to consider your options.

Customer:

it is making a genral old car engine noise but running ok but that was the same as before

Auto_Enlightenment :

If it sounds like it always has then I wouldn't wory yourself too much. How long did you run it with the new noise on low oil?

Customer:

1 day

Auto_Enlightenment :

I wouldn't worry too much then. If you had driven on it for a week like this then there may be cause for concern.

Customer:

ok thanks for your help its good to know there is alternetive advise out there

Experience: ASE Master Certified Technician
Thank you for your positive rating. If there is anything else I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.