Derrick, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.-Automotive Analysis A6-Electrical A8/L1-Engine Performance Cert., CA Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge Tech

i lost battery power to the van.i had a new battery installed.

i lost battery power to the van.i had a new battery installed. my radio plays for a short time the station call leters turn to black rectangels and the battery goes dead. if i turn the vehicle off and restart it,the radio recycles and goes to the same problem.

Are all of the other electronics working properly? Before the battery was replaced, was the car jump started or anything like that? Is it possible that the jumper cables could have been temporarily connected backwards?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how do i resolve my radio problem.

I am trying to gather more information as to what is causing your problem. Can you answer any of the questions I had asked? This will help me determine the cause of your problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

all electrics are working properly. yes i did try to jump start the van,and the jumpers were on corectly. thank you. hope you can help me. MIKE

Thank you Mike,

On these newer vehicles, many modules such as the radio can be negatively affected by things like a weak battery or a jump start.

The first thing I want to verify is that the battery is back to full charge. If your battery is going dead, the problem you are seeing with the radio is simply a side effect of the weak battery.

Can you check to make sure you have at least 12.6 Volts across the battery terminals and that you have at least 13.5 volts from the alternator with the van running? If you have a failing alternator, not only would that have drained your old battery, but it will cause you new battery to be drained and you may see strange electrical problems happening (like you are seeing with the radio).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the battery is bran new. the mechanic instaled it. he also checked out the alternator,and both the battery is at full charge and the alternator is working properly. please give me an answer to resolve my radio problem.i would like an answer,please help resolve thi problem. thanks---MIKE

If your battery is fully charged and your alternator is charging your system, then your problem is isolated to the radio module. On newer cars, you can reset these modules and it can fix a problem (much like restarting a computer).

I would recommend disconnecting the battery for at least a few minutes and then reconnecting it and starting the van. This will reset your radio, and should fix any temporary problems.

If you still have the problem, unfortunately you may need to have the radio replaced, but at this point I would go back to the mechanic who replaced the battery and tell him about this problem. Ask if anything was connected backwards or if he can double check the alternator. Otherwise, you will need to look into replacing the radio unit. Either way, I would try and have the mechanic take some responsibility for this because of the fact that it started right after the battery was replaced.

Let me know if you have any more questions!