Tom
Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
3827149

Scion TC: HAVE A 2009 SCION IN THE SHOP. WATER LEAK ONTO RT

Customer Question

HAVE A 2009 SCION IN THE SHOP. WATER LEAK ONTO RT SIDE FLOOR. RESEARCHED ON THE NET. MANY SCIONS W/ SAME PROBLEM. BLOCKED OR DISLODGED DRIP HOSE FOR AC CONDENSATION. HOSE IS CLEAN AND CLEAR. THE LAST TIME THE SCION LEAKED WAS AFTER A TORRENTIAL DOWNPOUR. I HOSED THE ENTIRE CAR DOWN 30-40 MINUTES IN EACH AREA. NO LEAK. I THEN POURED 2 GALLONS OF WATER ONTO THE CENTER COWL. (CAR WAS ON A SIDEWAYS INCLINE---LEANING TO THE RIGHT AS IT IS IN CUSTOMER DRIVEWAY).WATER GUSHED INTO THE CAR INTO THE SIDE DUCT AND THEN ONTO THE FLOOR. I KNOW THAT IT SHOULD BE ABLE TO HANDLE SOME WATER AND MOVE IT TO THE OTHER DUCT WITH THE DRAIN HOSE, BUT IF IT GETS OVERWHELMED ---IT LEAKS.---ALSO, IN A DRIVING RAIN (WE'VE HAD A COUPLE OF GIANT DOWNPOURS) I CAN PICTURE THE WATER FILLING UP THE COWL (BASIN?) AND RUSHING DOWN THE HOLE ON THE RIGHT ABOVE THE SIDE DUCT AND INTO THE DUCT.-------------I'VE GOT TO THINK THAT THIS IS A DESIGN FLAW---WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

MITCH
Category: Car
Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Yes it absolutely is.The drain is 100 percent clear and the windshield was never replaced or the vehicle was never in an accident correct have seen body seems cause this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

car was in accident . replaced l fender ldoor and hinge pillar. my men have years of experience and are certified. we used the i4 resistance welder.----i know water travels but my repair is sound.---

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Ok I would bet you that there is a crack in that body seem allowing the water to enter . Remove that fender and I am sure you can blow compressed air through to see the leak . It can also be from the accident and a body seal opening that you missed . These are what need to be checked next .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've already had it done once----this time i will check it personally

Expert:  Tom replied 2 years ago.
Ok thats what needs to be done I used compressed air powder and look for where it enters in the vehicle then I seal it with seam sealer.Hoped this helped.Bonuses greatly appreciated.Please rate excellent service.If you rate anything lower it will leave me negative feedback so if you need further assistance please let me know thanks.