Bosch2012
Bosch2012, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  Expert in diesel fuel injection machanical and electronic on vehicle fault finding
69552154

Plymouth Voyager SE: I have a 1988 Plymouth Voyager SE, 3.0

I have a 1988 Plymouth Voyager SE, 3.0 Liters V6 Engine, FWD-3 Speed Auto Trans. (Model A670) and the situation is as follows: The Dealer replaced the ECU/SMEC unit back in 2004 and lately we are experiencing the Tachometer giving False RPM (goes to zero and up and down while idling and while driving on road and/or highway. I have replaced the Distributor and RPM-Tachometer but this did not cure/resolve the problem, so in my next step, I Disconnected the Battery and took it out of the vehicle and Cleaned all of the Electrical Connectors/Contact Points underhood and I found some to be very dirty (including the ECU/SMEC contacts) and applied Dielectric Silicone Compound). The RPM-Tachometer is reading a lot better/stable accurate reading now. Are there any other suggested tests and/or remedies that you can suggest?
Category: Car
Expert:  Bosch2012 replied 2 years ago.

Bosch2012 :

Bosch2012 :

If the terminals of the ECU were coroded, then the chances for the termanals in the plug connectors on the wiring harness connected to the ECU could be dirty/ damaged. i suggest you unplug the wiring harness connectors and clean them thoroughly. You can bend the lugs inside the connectors so they fit tighter onto the ECU terminals.

Customer: YOU, APPARENTLY DIDN'T READ OR FUULY UNDERSTAND MY DETAILED STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM AND THE FACT THAT FULLY CLEANED ALL OF THE ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS/CONTACTS UNDER THE HOOD (FROM FIREWALL TO ALL COOECTIONS) INCLUDING THE ECU/SMEC WITH "ZENEX-ZenCircuit II Contact Cleaner" and "DIECLECTRIC SILICONE COMPOUND" ON ALL OF THE ELECTRICAL CONTACTS CLEANED (I DID FIND SOME VERY DIRTY CONTACTS/CONNECTIONS AND I THORUGHLY CLEANED THEN! THE TACH. IS NOW
Customer: READING WITHOUT BOUNCING ALL-THE-PLACE/GIVING FALSE RPM READINGS. SO WHAT I WANTED TO KNOW WAS IF THERE WERE AND OTHER SUGGESTIONS THAT MAY HAVE OR COULD HAVE CAUSED MY SITUATION (PRINTED CIRCUIT, ETC.)
Customer: THANK YOU VERY MUCH, BUT YOUR ANSWER DOES NOT ADDRESS MY SITUATION.
Customer: PS AUTO CYCLE
Bosch2012, Auto Mechanic
Experience: Expert in diesel fuel injection machanical and electronic on vehicle fault finding
Expert:  Auto_Enlightenment replied 2 years ago.

Hello, I'm an ASE Master Technician and I would be glad to answer any questions you may have. Please refrain from rating me until you are satisfied. Feel free to continue our conversation for as long as you need.

My opinion is as follows. The fact that your tachometer is now stable suggests you correctly identified and repaired your problem. Anything that prohibits a proper connection would essentially cause the circuit to go open which would interrupt the circuit causing problems. In your case, while it sounds like you had a connection on the tach feedback, it was a poor connection causing the fluctuation. It would also be good to check the terminal fit/drag. In addition to contamination causing a poor connection so too will a poorly fitting terminal. You would need a pin(sewing needles of various diameters may work) the same size of the pins in the ecu and associated connectors along the circuits path. I have special tools for this which have terminal pins of varying diameters and shapes which you simply insert into the female terminals then pull out. What you are looking for is sufficient drag on the pin to indicate the female terminal is good and tight. If the pin pulls out easily with little or no drag then the female terminal is too loose and would need to be either repaired or replaced. You need to be very careful not to use a pin that is too large as it will spread the female terminal open wider making your problem worse. I'd also make sure that all of your wired terminals are pushed all the way forward in the connectors, sometimes they can back themselves out over time .

I honestly believe you fixed your problem and the proof is in the pudding(it works). I've seen a lot of problems resolve themselves simply by unplugging the connector and plugging it back in. Sometimes a pin has backed out a little over time or there is corrosion which is wiped clean when you unplug and replug.

If there were an issue with a circuit board etc then I suspect it would still be acting up even after cleaning up the connections. If it happens to return then I would start by checking the connectors pin fit. Make sure they're tight and staying put inside the plastic connector(give them a little tug). Then I would check any pins soldered to a circuit board(i.e. ecu). Sometimes a poor sporadic connection comes from one of these pins starting to break free from the circuit board at the solder joint. You can usually only tell by looking at the solder joint while wiggling(gently) the pins.

If you need me to elaborate on anything or if you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Thanks.