Gene
Gene, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master 25 years experience, Ford Trans Tech/SMT, Toyota, Mitsubishi,Hyundai Tech.
285738

Hyundai Santa Fe: 2005 Santa fe, 4wd 83,000 miles, intermittent

2005 Santa fe, 4wd 83,000 miles, intermittent starting problem. Seems to happen on starting when car has been turned off for less than 5-15 minutes. Won't turn over, 6-cd player runs through like it's changing cd's. After 2 or 3 tries and the car starts, clock time has changed by 3 hours, and auto temperature control has changed from having last been on a/c to 73 degrees. Any ideas? 2 weeks ago dealer diagnostic showed cylinder misfires - found intake breather hose clamp broken and disconnected, so they fixed that. Night before taken in for starting issue, check engine light came on, car slowed and was shaky. Day I got car back, check engine light came on again. Took car back to dealer - fuel pump replaced. They said they found speedometer not working - replaced vehicle speed sensor, ignition failure sensor, and speedometer gear. All this and starting issue happened again today. Car going to dealer again next week. Any idea what could be causing these problems? Thank you. [email protected]
Hello which engine is in your santa fe and it basically has all of the original concerns? Does everything light up on the dash like normal when it wont restart?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, the engine is V6 3.5L DOHC 24-Valve. 5 speed automatic transmission w/shiftronic function. Has been well maintained and has been kept up to date on maintainance since I purchased new in April 2005.

Yes, I believe all the dash lights do light up when it won't restart.

Ok, no technical service bulletins are coming up for this type of concern. Based on what you are saying it sounds like an electrical issue of some sort,whether it be a bad ground or a control module for it to cycle different accesories and change time on the clock like it is being reset when you load the circuit. It could be something as simple as a bad cell in a battery so I would recommend load testing the battery and testing the charging system and unfortunately you will need to run a diagnostic check on the vehicle to see if the same codes are resetting from your previous repair attempts and if they are what the codes may be. This can help isolate the common denominator between the different electrical circuits. Grounds are some of the biggest concerns on these vehicles so inspect the ground at the battery and running down to the trans and engine chassis for corrosion or being loose.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Gene! I'll be sure to take your suggestions with me when I take the car to the dealer on Tuesday.