Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

Mini Cooper S: Using a 13mm socket wrench to loosen/remove

Customer Question

Using a 13mm socket wrench to loosen/remove a hex screw that's fastening a sway bar bracket on a mini cooper, I actually over-tightened the screw so much (by mistake) that it now rotates clockwise and counterclockwise but it can't be removed. Any ideas on what to do next?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dr. Hamman replied 4 years ago.

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed as we go on. Always keep in mind that I am here to help you with any questions.

Sometimes you can force a screwdriver under the head of the bolt, prying outward on it, as you try to back it out. Worst case scenario, you can grind the head off of the bolt, and use a punch to drive out the remains of the bolt. From there you can use a bolt and a nut in place, or go one step oversize, and drill then thread the hole with a tap, to the next size larger bolt. A grinder like the one at the link HERE would probably be a good choice to use to grind the head off of the bolt. Grinders like this can remove a bolt head in just a few minutes. If you have any more questions, as always, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless I am given 3 - 5 stars/smile faces. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.