The Audi Doctor
The Audi Doctor, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
9204914

V.W. vanagon/westfalia: 1988 westfalia fuel problem

Customer Question

1988 westfalia fuel problem
Category: Car
Expert:  The Audi Doctor replied 2 years ago.

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Yes, I can help you.

An 88 Westy in the US does not have a carburetor. Is this an error? It should be fuel injected. If so is this a rear wheel drive or Syncro?

If the “C” relay is one of the two little relays in the black box in the left of the engine compartment, when #85 and #86 have power and ground the relay connects #30 (supply voltage) to #87 (fuel pump). The engine control module is under the rear seat on the left side under a black metal housing.

Confirm my answer and let me know if you are missing power or ground (while cranking) to the #85 & #86 terminals and I will further assist you. If you have power and ground the relay is failed. I suggest you replace both relays as they can be troublesome whether this is the cause or not.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED.

Thank You!
Jake “The VW Doctor”
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yes missing power to 85 and86 on C when cranking ,yes fuel inj. also missing power to B 85 87, can I junp these to get me home?my 30s both have power, so can I wire together ? how do i test ground?, Is there any other cause im missing ? my ignition switch stopped working in accesories mode months ago, could this be related ? been runind great,stopped for 30mins and ..this !
Looks like I'm having technical difficulties here. Let me try this again.

What type of test equipment do you have?

Can you tell me if you have battery voltage at the #15 terminal of the ignition coil (black wires) with the key on, and also when cranking?

Answer those and I'll look some things up to get you home. This will be a bit difficult without having the car to test, nut let's see what I can do.

Jake
Let's start with this wiring diagram:graphic

If you can jump #30 to #87 in place of both relays this will bypass them. But if the problem is your ignition switch you still won't be able to start it. I'm thinking either the switch or the wiring from the switch where it goes through the fuse, the terminals burn and loose connection (that's why I'm having you check for power at the #15 terminal of the coil.

I think if you jump both relays (#30 to #87) and get a wire and jump power to the #15 terminal (black wires) of the coil , it may get you home.

I'll keep looking into this and wait to see what you come up with. Best of luck!
Jake

Jake
So I'm thinking one of two things happened. Either the ignition switch failed, in which case it would be pretty easy to remove the console cover under the steering column and disconnect the plug and plug in a new ignition switch that you could turn on with a screw driver. If it works like this you could drive it home and replace the switch later as the steering column has to come out and be disassembled to replace the switch.

Either that or maybe the #15 circuit from the ignition switch that powers the coil and the relays passes through the fuse panel under the dash. If you remove the panel and pull it down you can see all the electrical connectors that are attached to the back. The terminals for the 15 circuit and also sometimes the headlight wires burn here and the connection fails. So if your headlights ever fail, look here.

STill waiting to hear how your doing on the rest.

I'll be leaving in a while so let's discuss when we will be in contact.

Thanks!
Jake
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,have a c relay comming tomorow, too dark to see,2 termanal on coil, no power while cranking,but it did start on spray fluid yesterday. what kind of switch (temp one ) do I ask for, or do I pull mine apart ?and , what fuse would that be ? hidden? I have the fusebox down, will look for those 15 circut connections tomorow,thanks so much for hanging with me ! tomorow sometime in afternoon would be great, Im in Ma. so eastern stand.time,
If it started on spray that means the ignition should be fine. So, just try bypassing the fuel pump relay terminals #30 to #87. Does it start?

Let me know Well talk tomorrow.
Jake
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It starts when I jump both relays ! got a new fuel pump relay,but still doesnt run without jumping both,key surns starter,wont shut off without pulling jump wire.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,wont run with just pump relay jumped,or without it jumped
I was just checking in and saw your message. I'm in and out today, and will check back on you later.

That's great to hear when you jump both it runs. At least you can get home now. Does everything else appear to be ok?

If so I suggest you try another digifant power supply relay or drive it home so that you can get it properly tested and sorted. It will take a volt meter and a good understanding of electrical circuit flow to properly diagnose this condition.

You can get a hold of me regarding this condition any time as you have done in the past even after you have accepted my answer (and given positive feedback), so long as you do not manually close the question.

Thank You!
Jake
The Audi Doctor, Technician
Experience: Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Jake ,you saved my butt,Im trying to rate you and access denied ! wtf ! Im going to try a relay, and get ignition switch, Im exausted , but home safe ,ran 4 hours great, but that power relay was hot ! I will leave you the highest feedback i can give, thanks soo much,
Glad it worked for you!

Let me know if I can ever help you again.

Thanks!
Jake