Chris, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  43 years of automotive repair, Smog license

Ignition key stuck in lock (parked and off). How do I get the ignition to turn?

Welcome and thank you for allowing me to assist you! This is a problem with the ignition lock key cylinder. The lock cylinder and tumblers will need to be replaced by a lock smith or the dealer. In the meantime, what usually works temporarily is to get a small hammer and tap on the key a few times (like you are trying to tap it further into the lock). This will allow the key to now turn so you can start it and drive it to the lock smith or dealer.

I hope this information helps, and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Same question as I replied earlier. Will any locksmith work if the dealer had to get the key copy made? Thank you, Neil

Yes Neil. Your best bet would be to call a mobile lock smith so that they can come to you. This way you will avoid having the car towed to them,