Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.

99 aurora 4.0 power stering hard when coming to compete stop

99 aurora 4.0 power stering hard when coming to compete stop new rack new pump if u give it more gas it gets easy thank u mark

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice so we may have to fine tune the answer. Feel free to add any additional info you feel is needed as we go on. Always keep in mind that I am here to help you with any questions.

Mark, with a new pump, and rack there isn't a lot of other problems you could have. I would suspect belt slippage. Many times belts squeal when they slip, but sometimes they silently slip. Worn belts, or belt tensioners that are not holding correct tension are two common causes of the problem you are having. I would start it up when cold, then turn the steering wheel back and fourth for say 30 seconds, don’t rev it, then turn it off. Then feel the pulleys on the power steering pump, and the pulley that drives it. If there is belt slippage the pulleys will be hot. A new belt, may just solve the problem. Also on occasion I have seen power steering lines with restrictions that cause problems, but that is pretty rare. If you have any more questions, as always, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless I am given 3 - 5 stars/smile faces. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will assist you further. A bonus and positive feedback are always appreciated, good luck and Thanks.

can not find answer

I switched formats does this help.