proautotech
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  College Training. Current Lead Tech
67965572

hummer h3: hi, i have a 2006 h3, this morning the front end(sounded

hi, i have a 2006 h3, this morning the front end(sounded like it anyway) made a almost grinding whining noise. when i turned the front end seemed to bind up. i could sometimes alleviate this by shifting the transfer case on the dash. i got it home but im not sure how bad this is going to be. any ideal what is causing this? i hav e read about the plastic mode fork but im not sure if that is the same problem i am having. i checked the trans fluid level and nothing else seems amiss under the vehicle, thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  proautotech replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a lead technician. I will be helping you today

Does this only happen when your turning?

Also when you say changing transfer case are you changing to 4wd low or just 4wd hi?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

the front end seems to bind up when turning, not always but sometimes. i drove it about 2 miles this morning before being able to return home. last night i used the 4 hi part of the transfer but didnt notice anything wrong at that time. it also happens sometimes when i a driving straight. just 4hi

thanks

Does this feel like it normally does when you run it in 4X4?

The vehicles will bind up natuarally when you have the front engaged.

I just want to know if it feel much worse than it normally does if you are driving in 4?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
much worse, the whining grinding noise(intermittant) is fairly loud and when i say it binds up it is more like someone has applied the parking brake(its off)
This is a problem inside of the transfer case.

You will need to pull it apart and inspect it to find the problem.

You can just replace it but to find the actual problem it needs to be torn down. This is most likely to be worn out planatary gears.

CLICK HERE- Possible causes internal of the Tcase.

Please take a moment to leave a positive rating.

Thank you!
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience: College Training. Current Lead Tech