Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
Experience:  I have worked on everyting from Model Ts to 2012 Autos,
65581030

alternators

Customer Question

Hi...I have a 1977 vw. camper and I believe I need a larger output alternator- I have an auxiliary battery, fog lights, additional stereo amp, a ceramic heater, etc...it seems that when I turn on the bright lights and then fog lights, the battery charge indicator in the dash starts to glow. Any suggestions for a higher out put alternator that would fit in the same spot as the original...or any other suggestions?It has to physically fit in the sam place so the belt will reach...that's what I've been told anyway. If there is an alternative to changing the present alternator, I'd love to know. Thanks! 
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, yours has a 70 amp alternator. Your best solution to this to take it to an automotive electrical shop and have them rebuild the current alternator to a 110amp alternator which will be plenty to meet the needs of your vehicle. This way, the alternator stays the same dimensions with same pulley and mounting holes.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask for more help by clicking the REPLY TO EXPERT button, otherwise please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to pay for services rendered per customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and expert is not paid for their time, knowledge or services until you do so.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

.

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Look, it's not that your answer is a bad one..it's irrevent since no one will do a job like you suggested... believe me, I've asked...so your answer really isn't very helpful... it isn't really an answer because an "answer" for me is a solution to my problem ...unless you can suggest a company that would rebuild my current alternator to the specs you mentioned? I'm not attempting to chesse out of paying the $29. I'd gladly pay it if you told me a viable solution to this problem. Sorry Eric!
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

I can check on some sources to see, but it would mean sending yours out and usual turn around time is about a week.

I am surprised that no one in your area will. Most auto electrical shops rebuild alternators including upping the amperage on them for performance applications
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Now we're getting somewhere; I don't mind sending it out, if I have to...but I'll check some more in my area...I have a feeling that this service is more available in areas like California where the VW culture is much more prevalent. But if you can get me the address [s] of possiblilities, that would be great. My apologies for my seemingly to be casting aspersions on your expertise. I'm not...but I just need, as I said, an answer that lead to a solution. Thanks...I'll get back this week-end.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Ok, let me check and find a place that will rebuild it to higher amperage and post back here later this afternoon
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Never got that recommendation for the place that might rebuild my alternator; I really didn;t want to rate this "bad"...but I'm not paying for an unworkable solution. i'm willing to ship my alternator across country if necessary, but I called at least 12 places and no one wants to do it. Why, I don't know. I guess a 1977 VW camper alternator is a bit exotic to them. Give me one address of a comapny that will do it...or send me their numbers and I"ll call and if I get a positive response, I will gladly pay the $ and up the rating to excellent.
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.
I will respectfully XXXXX XXXXX (Edited by Moderator)

I will open it up to other experts to see if they have a source handy.

Do not reply until another expert replies to you, otherwise it will lock it back to me
Expert:  Dad Mechanic replied 2 years ago.
Hi Are we sure we have a 70 amp alternator when I looked thee common alternator is a 55amp. are sure about the 70 amp? Jim!!!
I was looking at your alternator even the 55 amp looks like a standard delco remy they make up to 170 amp in a small alt. any reason you couldn't replace with a different alt?
Jim!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That seems to be a point of controversy: 55/70. I'll have to probe a bit more. thanks for your attention.I hated giving Eric a bad rating but frankly "one size fits all rating systems" suck!My main question was: great...rebuild the current one...but who will do it. I couldn't find anyone to do it?
Just let me know if I can be of further assistance. I do have a rebuilder in my area that probably would beef your alternator up. I know it is getting harder and harder to find people that can do anything anymore. Thanks for using Just Answers. Jim!!!
I just looked on auto zone web site the 70 amp alt that they have seems to have a fitting on the back end for possibly a cooling hose to hook to. The 55 amp looks just like any regular alternator. I'm not sure about all replacements but thats what they show...https://www.autozonepro.com/results/searchResultsIndex.jsp?searchKeywords=alternator&categoryNavId=15300086&searchType=partsKeyword&partTypeId=86&partNumber=14062&id=0103355ca7b3157e888c917325595455#. take a look. Jim!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In ran a test on my 70 amp alternator and it's ok. My mechanics seem to think that something in the chain is draining my second battery. We are investigating it now. i'm going to tough it out with my current system since the main battery seems to be ok. Since you ahave expended some time an energy on my behalf, I will change my rating and honor my agreement. Send me the new email and I will do so. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Before I change my rating, will you send me the info on the place in your area thsat might be able to do this ...for the future?
Well the name of my rebuilder is HEILIG ALTERNATOR, Taylor Pa. I'm not sure that I can give you a phone number sometimes they XXX it out(NNN) NNN-NNNNJim!!! Thanks for using Just Answers.
Dad Mechanic, Mechanic
Experience: I have worked on everyting from Model Ts to 2012 Autos,