proautotech
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  College Training. Current Lead Tech
67965572

suzuki: My 2009 grand vitara has esp light on with service

My 2009 grand vitara has esp light on with service required message. Gauges not working, now wont start. Battery light was on also
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a lead technician. I will be helping you today

These lights will come on if the charging system fails to keep the vehicle charged.

This sounds like you have a bad alternator. What happens if the vehicle begins running on the battery only. It does not take long to run the battery down to nothing. The computer system will shut down one system at a time to get you as far as possible without the alternator.

This is what you need to do. Replace or fully charge and test the old battery. You will want to have it put on a charger and get it to 100% before having it load tested. If it passes you can use it again without a concern.

Once you have gotten the battery fixed the vehicle should run again. With the vehicle running again have the voltage tested with the vehicle running. It should read 13.5-14.5 volts indicating the alternator is running as it should.

I suspect it will be about 12 which is a direct indication the alternator is not producing a charge.

Remove the alternator from the vehicle have the local parts store run a test and verify it is bad. Replace the alternator and the vehicle will be good to go once again.

You are looking at 1 hour of labor the list price from the dealer is very high 766.00 but if you get a aftermarket one it will be much less.

Hope this information is helpful, please rate the answer with a positive rating. You will not be charged but it will allow the expert to be credited. If not the deposit will just sit in your account.

Thank you!