Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Land Rover Discovery: I just changed my battery in my 1997

Customer Question

I just changed my battery in my 1997 land rover discovery, now my lights, radio, and windows wont work. Also their is an annoying buzzing sound in it.
Category: Car
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 2 years ago.
Please only rate answers AFTER finishing our session. Your problem may take a few conversations to pin point, and we can talk until you are satisfied
Hello, what was the original problem that prompted a battery change? Usually the buzzing noise you are referring to is "alternator whine" and caused by a bad connection on the ground system. Post back with more information and we can go from there.
Thank you,
Brad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The battery needed to be changed due to my friend leaving the headlights on. As for the whining it seems to be coming from right behind the steering wheel. Also i hadn't realized it at first but the anti theft light isn't flashing its off.
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 2 years ago.
Did the vehicle sit for long with a dead battery? Now that you have a good battery in it and the system has been re energized, do a reset by pulling the positive battery lead off for 20 minutes and reinstalling. Check the fuse panel for any bad fuses and post back with results... I will look for any information related to what you are having while waiting for your reply.
Brad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It ended up sitting for most of the night, at first we tried to jump it, we waited for about 10-15 minutes with the other car running, revving it up every now and then. Then we tried to turn it on, and all that happened was the horn started wailing, and the windshield wipers started going even though the wipers were off in the vehicle. I also did a check earlier today with the fuses, they all seemed to be in good condition, silvery looking prongs and no black in the middle.

Also prior to this, the whining didn't happen and most of the electronics worked, I say most, because the FM/AM part of the radio didn't work, but the Weather Band did and now that's not even coming up. It just shows up a blank screen now. As of now though, the wipers work, the blinkers work, and the hazards work.
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 2 years ago.
Okay so to be sure you have everything working but the windows and the radio? As you said the radio already had issues so it could of went ahead and fried due to the electrical disturbance. Let's look at the window issue first. be sure and check all the fuses and relays again and post back.
Brad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No the head lights still don't work either.
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 2 years ago.
Okay no headlights either. Can you put a multimeter on the battery and see how much it is charging.. if it's between 13 and 14 volts while the engine is running, and above 12 volts when the engine is off..