K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AA in automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade

Subaru legacy: now i hve a smell with a/c on, not always, but

now i hve a smell with a/c on, not always, but smells like solvent or something like that. with no obvious oil leaks or exhaust leaks.... any ideas.... i had one once with a rat nest that had been there for awhile, but haven't pulled the squirrel cage to check.
With you confirming no leaks of oil or exhaust fumes it could either be as you stated an animal. It's very likely what you are smelling is mold/mildew in the evaporator case. It being dark and damp and warm when you aren't using the A/C makes it a nice breeding ground. I would suggest using a cleaner designed for this. There's a consumer product I have had great results from and will post below. Just copy and paste the link into your web browser. If I can help further please just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
unable to open link, got a name for this stuff?
It's called Klima Cleaner. Give me just a moment and I'll edit in a clickable link for you.
you should be able to click below

Sorry having problems posting click links, you can copy and paste in your web browser or go to and search for it. My apologies for the site glitch.