Lurch
Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.

Hope you can help me. I have a 2002 Silverado with 167000

Hope you can help me. I have a 2002 Silverado with 167000 miles and I am the original owner. It is a 5.3L, 2WD, and extended cab. About once a week I have to add coolant. I have replaced the coolant reservoir(2X), radiator, reservoir cap(2x), thermostat(2x), hoses, clamps and had a dealer pressure check it overnight and check for leaks. The dealer didn't find anything. No matter what I do, it still leaks and there is no water in the oil. I don't notice anything on the ground and can't find any leaks. Any ideas??? Steve Rednour2076 E Browning,Chandler, AZ85286 XXX-XXX-XXXX
Category: Car
Expert:  Lurch replied 1 year ago.

Did the Dealer advise you of any Tech Bullitens for Gradual Coolant Loss Over Time With No Evidence of Leak Found?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Lurch replied 1 year ago.

sorry......takes time to type

Thanks for using J/A / Pearl
My answer is below.

Please understand, the site makes me post the following:

"Please only rate my answer if you are satisfied with the service I have provided.
If you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have, because this will result in a negative mark on my feedback record.
I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Instead, please simply reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT link with the issue you have.
I am happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek."
My answer may not be to your liking, but is a correct & honest answer.
Many times the only fix will be by Dealer or Shop, so please do not hold that against me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No matter what I do, it still leaks and there is no water in the oil. I don't notice anything on the ground and can't find any leaks. Any ideas???

Couple of things............

There is a TECH Bulliten for Gradual Coolant Loss Over Time With No Evidence of Leak Found

>>>>>>> CLICK HERE

You can add a Leak Detection Dye to help locate leak like GM P/N 89022219 or many Auto Parts Stores will have a kit for this

A "Reputable Radiator Shop would likely be better than the Dealer, as they can perform a Gas & Pressure Test to locate Leak also & would have more experience than the Dealer

If Automatic: Check Transmission Fluid for color & Level

If you need further, please ask "before" you Rate my Answer...............

If not, please rate my Answer as Excellent Service, as that is how a recieve a small portion of the Deposit................thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wouldn't this show up with water in the oil??
Expert:  Lurch replied 1 year ago.

If you are referring to the Tech Bulliten..........no
Many times it leakes into a cylinder/s & will dissapate out the exhaust
The leak is so minute, that it takes time for it to show loss of fluid & with the Engine running will typically leak a little faster than if the engine was off

If you are referring to the Automatic Transmission.......yes
It would show as a different color (milky red/brown)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I lose 1-2 quarts a week. Is it just me or is this a significant amount vs "a gradual coolant lose" mentioned in the bulletin.

Expert:  Lurch replied 1 year ago.

I lose 1-2 quarts a week. Is it just me or is this a significant amount vs "a gradual coolant lose" mentioned in the bulletin

thank you for the added info................
That "is" a significant amount & I am surprised the Dealer or "whom ever" did a test on the Cooling System was not able to pinpoint it.
This can still be the Tech Bulliten problem, but I would want to seek someone that has better experience in testing the Cooling System
Especially if there is NO Visable signs of Coolant Loss|
A Gas & Pressure test should be all that is needed, but a Dye Test also would be more proof

Experience: Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.