Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

scion xa: my 2005 scion xa broke a belt. I replaced it and

my 2005 scion xa broke a belt. I replaced it and the plugs. i hooked the battery back up and now the rpm, gas, odometer and mph gauges arent working along with the a/c, radio, mirror and all door controls.
Category: Car
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 2 years ago.

Toyota Service :

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you by discussing your request in detail. Thanks.

Toyota Service :

Please remove the 15 amp "AM2" fuse from the fusebox under the hood and install a spare 15 amp fuse in its place; advise if anything starts to work; thanks

Customer:
Customer:

ok ill b right back

Toyota Service :

Thanks

Customer:

no change

Toyota Service :

Please locate the 10 amp GAUGE fuse under the dash, replace it with a spare fuse.

Toyota Service :

You have a power distribution problem. For all of the items you have listed to be inoperative, you have a bad fuse in the system. Do you have a 12 volt DC testlight?

Customer:

no i dont

Toyota Service :

If there is no change with the Gauge fuse,

Toyota Service :

Locate the 60 amp MAIN fuse in the fusebox under the hood and examine the interior of it very closely. This fuse powers the AM2 and the Gauge fuses

Customer:

u are not helping

Toyota Service :

I am helping you. I need you to tell me, as I cannot see the 60 amp MAIN fuse, if it has an open filament or not.

Toyota Service :

If this fuse is bad, which it probably is, you will not have power in the sub-fuses that it allows power to flow into. This is where a 12 volt DC testlight would be very valuable.

Toyota Service :

The testlight would tell you if you have power in the fuses. We need to back trace where the poser is being stopped by an open circuit.

Toyota Service :

power, not poser; sorry for the typo

Toyota Service :

Please let me know if you desire to continue the diagnosis; I see that you have applied a Bad Service rating, whcih the site construes as a negative rating.

Customer:

well it would be nice...there is no 60 amp fuse in the box under the hood

Toyota Service :

There are 2 fuse boxes under the hood. One with smaller fuses in it, that is what you are looking in.The one you need to examineis the one that has 4 large fuses, nothing else..

Toyota Service :

Look for a box on the driver side of the engine compartment, near the firewall

Toyota Service :

in this box there will be 2 or 3 60 amp cartridge fuses, and a 120 amp cartridge fuse They are markedly bigger than the fuses in the other box

Toyota Service :

These fuses are what we used to call 'fusible links'. They are plastic boxes with a silver wire inside of them. The silver wire is the actual fuse. If it is broken, the fuse is blown.

Toyota Service :

the wire could also be copper colored.

Toyota Service :

I will check back later to see if you have checked the fuses I am speaking of.

Customer:

they look fine

Toyota Service :

That is good.

Toyota Service :

The next thing we have to do is do some real-time electrical diagnosis. Without doing this, we will be unable to see why you have no power to your gauges and your other things. You are going to need to get a 12 volt DC testlight, or a 12 volt DC voltmeter. Is this possible?

Customer:

i guess so

Toyota Service :

When you obtain the testlight, attach the clip end of it to a good body ground; shiny metal. Turn the key on, and touch each side of every fuse under the dash. The test light should light up when you touch the metal part of the fuse. When the light lights up on only one side, that fuse is blown.

Customer:

ok

Toyota Service :

if the gauge fuse has no power on either side, you must then check the AM2 fuse for power. After you do that, please get back to me with the results of your testing. I expect you to find a bad fuse.

Toyota Service :

I would appreciate removal of the bad service rating. I strive to provide the best I can do. SOmethimes, in issues like this, I know it can be very frustrating for you. However, electrical diagnosis takes time, and must follow a specific path in order for us to succeed in fixing the problem

Toyota Service :

I will check back in an hour or so.

Customer:

on the outside small fuses im getting a current on all but the 7.5 a/c2. Im not getting any current on the inside fuses

Customer:

there are 3 fusable links on the inside and they all look fine

Customer:

could this be a relay?

Toyota Service : Double check big fuses, see if you have power going to them.
Toyota Service : Not a relay, replaces do not power the fuse busses.
Customer:

how do i check them as they have plastic caps covering them

Customer:
Customer:

OK i took off the caps plugged them back in and touched it with the checker and no current on all 3

Toyota Service : No current in any of the 60 amp fuses? How about the 120 amp fuse? Does it have power?
Toyota Service :

Sorry about the delay, electrical storm in my area is knocking out my internet.

Customer:

i changed out the big fuses...i dont see any 60 or 120 amp

Customer:
Customer:

therte was a 50, 40 and 30 on big ones then the small ones

Customer:

i looked all over only 1 box under the hood and 1 under the dash

Customer:

thats all that shows in the owners manual to

Toyota Service :

Do you have power in the AM2 fuse in the fusebox under the hood?

Customer:

with it on i got current in all small fuses under the hood

Customer:

none under the dash

Toyota Service :

No fuses under the dash have power?

Customer:

no. i grounded to a bolt by the pedals

Toyota Service :

When you say you have currenti n the fuses under the hhood, you are saying you have current on both sides of the fuse, correct?

Customer:

yes

Customer:
Toyota Service :

And you are saying that you do not have any power in any fuse under the dash, correct?

Customer:

yes

Toyota Service :

Please look under the hood. Locate the driver side shock tower/inner fender.

Customer:

what does it look like?

Toyota Service :

Towards the engine, on in that area, there should be a small box. This is your second/main fuse box.

Customer:

do u mean the red box hooked with the positive cable?

Toyota Service :

The rounded metal inner-fender that is next to the front strut on the enine side

Toyota Service :

Do you have the abiity to take and post a picture of your engine compartment?

Customer:

yes

Toyota Service :

That would be beneficial.

Customer:

ok ill be back in 5 or ten ,,,i only got a desktop

Toyota Service :

I have the factory wiring manual in front of me. The box is shown in the diagram. It sure sounds like you have a blown main fuse.

Customer:

ok

Toyota Service :

ok, take your time. It is my desire to get this sorted out for you

Toyota Service :

I will be back in a few moments; storming here again.

Customer:

Full Size Image
fuse box under hood

Toyota Service :

Ok. straight back from this box, towards the windshield...look for a small black box

Toyota Service :

The 60 amp fuses are not in this box.

Toyota Service :

rectangular box

Customer:

Full Size Image
ill look

Customer:

Full Size Image
this is next to the strut behind the fuse box

Customer:

do i need to take out the battery?

Customer:

Full Size Image
ok i think i found it but have no idea where the fuse is on it

Toyota Service :

no

Toyota Service :

That is a wiring connector

Toyota Service :

Windshield

Toyota Service :

firewall

Toyota Service :

open space

Toyota Service :

fusebox

Toyota Service :

open space

Toyota Service :

fusebox in the picture

Toyota Service :

battery

Customer:

did u see the last pic, i took out the battery to get a better look

Customer:

i didnt understand ur last comments

Customer:

are u done?

Toyota Service :

Toyota Service :

Storming badly here, sorry

Toyota Service :

No, that last picture is a wiring connector

Toyota Service :

Please take a picture of the area between the fuse box and the firewall; driver side

Toyota Service :

Power is going on and off here. deepest apologies. I have to sign off; lightning is in the area; tree just got hit next door

Customer:

ok be safe

Customer:
Toyota Service :

Switching the method of communication to Q and A mode; this way I can attach a picture for you to look at.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
OK; lets try this.
The fusible link block is where you need to look for the 60 amp fuses.
Let me know if you find it and if any are blowm
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok ill look for it this afternoon when i get off work...Hope all is ok from the storm..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,where do i rate at?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where do I rate at ,where do i rate at?

I would appreciate a positive rating. Perhaps you clicked on the bad service rating by mistake, or was mislead by the directions. I strive to satisfy my customers; the site frowns on us when we get bad service ratings.

Thanks for the thought; all is well here (except the neighbor's tree; the fire department had to come and put out the fire after lightning hit is) :-)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I understand....im on my phone at work, i will be happy to give you a positive, i dont see where to do so.

Please let me know if you need anything else. You have a great day.

The rating box should be on your screen.

Toyota Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience: Over 30 years experience in the automotive field