proautotech
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  College Training. Current Lead Tech
67965572

Toyot: we have a 2002 prius that has 163,000miles on it. Its

Customer Question

we have a 2002 prius that has 163,000miles on it. Its Hybrid battery is poorly functioning now (warning light for hybrid system went on). We had it analyzed at the local dealing. A new battery would cost $2300. we couldn't locate a used battery (for model years 2002 - 2004) and were advised that battery effectiveness was a function of age, not mileage, and similarly aged batteries might also not be effective anymore. So we opted for the new battery. The car has been at the shop for 1 week to install a new battery. Now the dealer shop tells us the labor cost will be around $3000.00. I was shocked and will get an itemized listing of all expenses. Does this sound right for labor cost, ??? I'd like to get your advice. JG
Category: Car
Expert:  proautotech replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a lead technician. I will be helping you today

Refuse delivery. You need to keep records of everything. Get local quotes from other shops.

Get an attorney if needed. Labor is 2.3 Hours. They can charge you to diagnose but in no way should it be near 3000 in labor.

CLICK HERE Cost from professional automotive estimator.