tripletauto
tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certifed master tech gm certifed 20 years experience
15993919

AMC Eagle Premier: I have a 1988 AMC EAGLE PREMIER. If the

Customer Question

I have a 1988 AMC EAGLE PREMIER. If the car has not been driven in over 48 hours, it is difficult to start. Have had it towed to a mechanic twice and they have had no trouble starting it. We've had the plugs cleaned, installed a new gas filter, added injector cleaner, and switched non-ethanol gas. The mechanic says that I have good fuel pump pressure. battery power and good starter. Any ideas?
Category: Car
Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.

Brad :

Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you
I see your question has been up for several hours now...
Do you still need any assistance?
Thanks,
Brad

**PLEASE do not rate my service until we have discussed your question

Expert:  Brad replied 2 years ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No Answer Has Been Received To Date . Why Not? Hal
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Other.
no answer received
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What is my answer to my 1988 AMCEagle Premier?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
,What is my answer to my 1988 AMCEagle Premier?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What do I have to do to correct this starting problem?
Expert:  tripletauto replied 2 years ago.
hello. what you describe sounds like the check valve in the pump not sealing allowing the gas to drain back.so when you try to crank it pump has to pump all the fuel back up the lines resulting in an extended crank. Try cycling key on and off several times when problem arises, this will run the pump if it cranks up easier this is the problem.
tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ase certifed master tech gm certifed 20 years experience
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The sat two days. Tried to start the car per your directions today and the will not start after not running for two days
DO YOU HEAR THE PUMP RUN? if so cycling the key a few times does not help?the pump should run for 3-5 seconds when key cut on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car sat for two days, and than I tried to start it as you said. I could smell gas, but the car wanted to start but did not start?
you say cleaned plugs in original post. some plugs once they get gas fouled are worthless cleaning will not help might wanna try a set of plugs. this may not be the problem but could be adding to a problem. the fact that it has to sit that long leads to fuel problem. I would leave a gauge on it and see if pressure bleeds off and how fast primes back up.
tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician