internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.

We are looking into purchasing a new or slightly used crossover/smaller

We are looking into purchasing a new or slightly used crossover/smaller SUV. We need a very dependable vehicle that ideally gets pretty good gas mileage. We are hoping to spend under $20k. We currently have a 11 year old Maxima and a 10 year old Civic. We will probably trade in the civic toward the cost. What do you recommend as our top 3 options? Aside from dependability, we also want a vehicle with a good safety record as we have a baby.

internal88 : Hello and welcome
internal88 :

2010-2011 Honda CRV AWD, Toyota RAV 4 AWD with the 4 cylinders and Subarau Forester.

internal88 :

All three cars are reliable, good gas mileage and also very safe.

internal88 :

They all have the latest features like ABS, Advanced air bag system,Lower Anchors and Tethers for children, Front energy-absorbing crumple zone and side-impact door beams and also tire pressure monitor system.

internal88 :

Average MPG is 22 on the local and 28 highway.

internal88 :

You can't go wrong picking one of the three.

internal88 :

Good luck and let me know if you have further questions.

What has your experience been with Hyundai? We were originally thinking a Tucson or Santa Fe.

internal88 : The 2011 Tucson is good reliable and safe too. However the rear view is not well design. It is kind of difficult to see when you reverse.
internal88 : The reliability for sante fe will be a better pick over Tucson. The sante fe did well in front and side crash test. It also includes all the safety features. The 10 years 100k miles warranty for the powertrain is the best warranty out there.