internal88
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.

Im thinking about buying a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon with 108,000

I'm thinking about buying a 2000 Hyundai Tiburon with 108,000 miles on it from a friend of mine and she's selling it for $1,500 as is and knows that it needs a wheel bearing and a tune up. It's been sitting for a few months and now when she turns the car on, there is a ticking noise. I'm not sure if it's the engine, and if so, what do you think could be the problem with the engine? Is it worth getting and fixing up?
Category: Car
Expert:  internal88 replied 2 years ago.

internal88 :

Hello and welcome.

What you’re hearing is the cam and valve lash ticking or tapping from lack of engine oil. It is normal for an engine that has been sitting for a while. It takes time (minutes) for the oil pump to pump the oil from the oil pan thru the oil gallery. The Tiburon has a hydraulic valve lash adjusters (HLA). Therefore there is no maintenance on the valve lash adjustment. I would advise you to get an engine oil change first with 5w-30 castrol GTX oil and filter. Also the timing belt and water pump needs to be changed.

internal88 :

I think it will be worth while to fix it up.

Customer:

How much do you think it would be?

internal88 : The timing belt package including new water pump, valve cover, all drive belts, tensioner, and new coolant change will run you about $5450 to $500,
internal88 : Sorry I meant $450 to $500
Customer:

Okay and then how much is a wheel bearing and a tune up?

internal88 : Give me a few minutes
internal88 : The wheel bearing for the both will cost you about $100 plus 1.5 hr labor
internal88 : The tune up with part and labor will cost you about $250
internal88 : Tune up including wires, plugs, oil change and air filter.
internal88 : The shop will most likely give you a discount if you do the timing belt package together.
Customer:

Okay, but you don't think the engine is shot? I guess that's the main thing. I don't want to buy it and have it be the engine.. i can't afford to buy a new engine.

internal88 : No.
internal88 : Two things I want you to check that are very important.
internal88 : Before you start the engine. Check the color of the coolant. Make sure it is green not milky color.
internal88 : Do this while the engine is cold
internal88 : Two- check the exhaust gas make sure the exhaust is not solid white color.
internal88 : Or heavy white smoke .
Customer:

k, oh i just found this. this is exactly what it sounds like. the ticking...

Customer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gqp7mD82zBQ

Customer:

maybe that'll help

internal88 : Three- before you start the engine remove the radiator cap. Turn the engine on , check if you see bubbles. If you see bubbles then you have head gasket problem. This will cost you a lot of money.
internal88 : I see the video
internal88 : I think you should pass this deal.
internal88 : There is internal problem. Aka piston slap or valve train is loose.
internal88 : . I think you should pass.
Customer:

okay. so don't bother fixing it? i guess when there is that much to fix, it's not a good deal anymore.

internal88 : No
internal88 : It is not a good deal.
Customer:

okay. wow thank you so much for your help

internal88 : No problem
internal88 : I hope I have helped you out.
internal88 : Please give me an excellent rating.
Customer:

you have. thanks again! have a good night :)

internal88 : Thank you.
Customer:

k i will

internal88 : Good night
internal88, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I've been working with automotive industry for almost 20 years. I also have an engineering background. Saving one car at a time.