Ridgerunnerras
Ridgerunnerras, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  I have been fixing cars for 26 years for myself and at a used Car dealer. I am skill mechnical and autobody and paint repair

Toyota Land Cruiser Land Cruiser: I have just installed a new

Customer Question

I have just installed a new torque converter to a land cruiser amazon 100 series. I also replaced all of the seals. I should explain that I have changed many gearboxes and engines over the last 40 years however I have not had a much experience of automatic transmissions although I was extremely careful in this instance to get all the wiring and mechanics rightfully installed
Having installed the new torque converter I have now lost all drive through all gears absolutely nothing. Can you make any suggestions
Category: Car
Expert:  JacobTD replied 1 year ago.

JacobTD :

was torque converter filled with fluid before install?

JACUSTOMER-lscckzkr- :

No as it was asumed the system was self priming

JacobTD :

They usally are. However can take quite awhile.

JACUSTOMER-lscckzkr- :

There is more than enough oil in the gearbox, how long would you estimate it might take for the oil to fill the TC?

JacobTD :

a few mins of going through the gears. If this doesnt do it check that the selector is hooked up.. if it is.... bad news

JacobTD :

Make sure theres fluid pressure in the cooler lines also.

JACUSTOMER-lscckzkr- :

Jacob

Expert:  JacobTD replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jacob

Thanks for your response. I have checked the oil flow to cooler and no pressue at all. I supose what concerns me is if the pump failed to engage the tc drive dog as it seems that there is no pump action at all. obviously I do not want to take the whole lot apart again if there is something basic that I have missed. If this has to be done what would I be looking for?

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jacob

I have continued to seek an explanation about the transmission problem and now surmise that the pump may have suffered damage when the new torque converter was installed owing to non full engagement. I was very careful when aligning the transmission to ensure everything was moved by hand pressure and the bell housing closed up to the dowels in the bell housing where tolerance fit requires more pressure i.e. tightning the bolts of the bell housing to the gearbox. As far as I am aware there was no damage to the pump or any obstruction nd it appeared that full engagement had occured But it would be helpful if you might advise of what damage could be attributed to none full engagement of the pump drive in the event that this happened. This then will conclude my request for an answer to the initial question. Thank you.

Regards

Expert:  Ridgerunnerras replied 1 year ago.

Hello Richard I would like to help you with this.

I'm curious as to why the torque converter was replaced to begin with. Was there any issue with the transmission or the vehicle prior to this that led you to replace this?

Also when replacing the torque converter it takes all lot of transmission fluid to fill a backup

If you try and put more transmission fluid in does it fill up the fill tube and overflow?

The way I do this is I fill the transmission to the Fill mark and then go and with the engine running put the transmission through all of its gears several times. That I go back and checked the fluid again, and keep adding fluid until I feel the transmission engage.

Once a field transmission engage that fill the transmission until the dipstick shows full. I then run through the gears while the engine is running until I am sure that all of the air Has then flushed Out of the system . You can usually here a wining noise when there is still air in and the lines.

If you have done all this and you still do not have transmission function then you may not have got the torque converter seated all way and that side the transmission.

Or you have a bad pump.

When installing the torque converter you put it in the front of the transmission and turn it until all the splines lined up and it seats all the way in.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please remember to rate my answer "Great Service" This is the only way I will get compensated for my time helping you.

IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

If you are having trouble with the site or rating system please let me know as this is a new feature and some Customers have had some trouble with it.

Thank you,

Carl,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ridgerunnerras

Thank you for responding to my enquirey. What you said may well be a help when I try tomorrow morning . However I have used a total of 9 ltres which has risen up the dip stick and ought I feel be enough to get the system primed.

The reason for changing the TC was because the drive would offer resistance when trying to slow down . A bit like not disengaging the clutch in a manual drive situation.

Finaly a have to admit that I fitted the TC to the flywheel first as I assumed this to be correct practice. The introduction of the gearbox was carried out very carefully by hand while supported upon two trolly jacks.

I hope this helps you in making any further comments that you believe may help me get to the bottom of why I have no drive.

Regards

Ok you Should install the Converter to the Trans and then attach bolts to the flywheel after the transmission and engine are bolted together.
The Torque converter Should Spin freely to align the bolts to the fly wheel. if not then something is not all of the way seated. This has happened to me several times.

Ridgerunnerras, Auto Mechanic
Experience: I have been fixing cars for 26 years for myself and at a used Car dealer. I am skill mechnical and autobody and paint repair
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Ridgerunnerras

It now appears that the pump was damaged when the torque converter was inserted. The first and second set of splines engaged but the primary pump driving dog may not have engaged as it was require to do. This came about as a result of fitting the torque converter to the flywheel instead of inserting it into the bell housing of the gearbox and transmission as you suggested.

I am sorry to admit I have accepted defeat with this and have now arranged for the truck to be repaired by a local automatic transmission specialist who informs me that this problem is very common where garages and others fail to fully engage the primary pump. I have discovered that there are companies who will repair and upgrade the TC at reasonable cost and so for peace of mind it may in the future be well worth it.

With hindsight had I known the correct procedure it would have been relatively straight forward to carry out the job. However at the time I was unable to see a workshop manual in pdf. as I had originally intended to check the procedure.

For all those people out there who would like to carry out a TC replacement upon the Land Cruiser I would say that the three most important points are these:-

1.Remove the transfer box and then the main gearbox.

2 The main gearbox needs to be rotated 90 Deg to allow it to clear the starter protrusion in the bell housing.

3. Fit the TC. To the gearbox ensuring the two sets of splines are fully engaged and that the primary pump drive is also engaged!

Regards

bigrick

glad I could help.

sorry It was all messed up

Thank you,

Carl,