Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

I have a 1999 discovery 2 my key will not turn in the door.

I have a 1999 discovery 2 my key will not turn in the door. i opened the door to the passenger side and the alarm went off. my key is the only thing that can disable the alarm? i have Went to two lock smiths they have done two different keys. still nothing. i just need to be able to start my car and bring it to the dealership. what do i do? HELP!!!!PLEASE!!!

this sounds like the door mechanism may have slipped an actuation rod as the car's Body Control Unit ( BCU) uses two dedicated switches inside the drivers door lock to disable the alarm

If you can open the drivers door from the inside with the battery disconnected to prevent the alarm form sounding and then remove the door trim to get at the door lock you should see if all the door lock actuation rods are intact
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So I let the battery completely die then it started i guess that disabled the alarm. after i got a jump and now the problem is my battery will not keep charge : ( everytime I turn off the ignition it doesn't start without a jump. This never happened before the alarm problem.

thanks for the extra information

if you battery won't hold a charge its very likely that this is the root cause of the issue as alarm systems are very particular about having enough charge

I'd suggest replacing the battery and also check that the alternator is actually charging the battery in the car by taking a battery voltage reading with the engine off then another with the engine running. The 2nd reading should be higher than the 1st and climbing steadily. And also check that the alternator is secure to the engine as this provides the ground for the charging circuit and make sure that the engine / gearbox earth strap is secure and the contacts are clean and bright.

if the alternator appears not to be working - take it to a electrical specialist and ask them to test it as sometimes you can replace just the diode pack and this will repair the alternator without requiring replacement
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay it was the alternator. All is good thanks for the information. Really helped a lot 😃
Glad to have helped