caughlins
caughlins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Advanced engine diagnosis master technician. Factory Trained on Bentley, Lamborghini, Lotus and Jaguar
68142990

I had a rear main engine oil leak on a 2006 odyssey. I

I had a rear main engine oil leak on a 2006 odyssey. I added Blue Devil Rear Main Sealer. will this cause a valve actuator to stick

Gnews4U :

Hello, most of the "easy fix" products that are supposed to seal leaks are just thicker weight oil.

Gnews4U :

That could possibly cause a lifter to stick because of the viscosity of the new addative. Thinner oils can leak faster if there is a leak, these companies offer products that swell existing rubber gaskets and thicken the oil offering a temporary fix that can add to problems in the future.

Customer:

you are full of crap. you dont even know what a valve actuator is

Gnews4U :

I'm not the one who added a $5 can of snake oil to cause a $1500 problem. Good luck finding a magic answer.

The idea of the product is to cause the seals to swell slightly and seal the leak. This is a temporary repair. It should not affect the actual actuating valve but could affect the solenoid which has rubber seals in it which could swell and cause a binding in the solenoid actuation. I would continue to monitor the #1 valve actuator and if there are continued faults. Drain the engine oil and put in new oil and filter minus the additive. See if the leak stops or is slowed and see if #1 starts to behave. If so Either fix the rear main or try adding a little bit of the additive till the leak stops and the #1 works. -Colin-
caughlins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Advanced engine diagnosis master technician. Factory Trained on Bentley, Lamborghini, Lotus and Jaguar