Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness
7183013

Western Golf Cart Electric: I have an electric golf cart. The

I have an electric golf cart. The batteries are about 3 years old. When i hooked up the charger after not using it for 8 months the charger wouldn't work. When I checked the batteries they are dry. Do I fill them up with water or battery acid?

Country: United States
Make: Western Executive
Model: Golf Cart
Year: 1997
Engine: Electric 42V

Ted G. :

You need to refill with distilled water, the sulpher is in the plates and will make acid (hopefully) when you recharge.

Customer:

I thought so but wasn't sure.

Customer:

Do I need to do anything special to get the charger to recognize the batteries?

Ted G. :

I would also recommend a slow recharge as opposed to using your normal quick charger. If you have 6 6 volt batteries you can use a 12 volt car charger on 2 batteries at a time.

Customer:

Never thought of that. Thank you

Ted G. :

The charger won't come on unless it sees about 5 volts per battery so you need to get them up some before it will activate, plus a slow charge will help draw the sulpher back off the plates, a quick charge wil not do that as well.

Customer:

Thank you again. I know what to do now. Matt

Ted G. :

If you have 3 holes per battery they are 6 volt, if you have 4 then they are 8 volt and a car charger won't work.

Customer:

These are definitely 6V batteries. I also have a decent 2 amp trickle charger that should work pewrfectly on them. Thank you again.

Ted G. :

Try to check your water every 6 months or so, 3 months if you use the cart a lot.