stin1974, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Domestic transmission diagnostics and troubleshooting. General repair diagnostics and troubleshoot.

vauhall astra: Hi i have a vauhall astra and the engine light

Customer Question

Hi i have a vauhall astra and the engine light keeps coming on and every now and again the car just cuts out mostly when slowing down to stop. The light is not on at mo but keeps coming on now n then what could b the problem and could it b costly?
Category: Car
Expert:  stin1974 replied 4 years ago.
Have you had the vehicle scanned for service or fault codes?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no not had anything done yet

Expert:  stin1974 replied 4 years ago.
I'm not real familiar with the UK. Do you have Autozones or Advanced auto parts stores there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have places you can get parts from, yes.

Expert:  stin1974 replied 4 years ago.
Right I know that. Anyway I would suggest taking the vehicle to have it scanned and see if there are any codes stored in the vehicles computer. If the check engine light came on there will most likely be a problem code stored in the vehicles computer. This code will point to what the problem is or was or give you a general description of whats happening. The reason I asked about Advanced or Autozone is because they will do this scan for you for free. They do this in the hopes of selling you any parts you may need. However, most all part stores carry these scanners now and do these scans for free. This is what I would suggest having done first and is where any mechanic or technician would start as well. May be a miss fire code on a certain cylinder or something of that nature. If no codes I would suggest having a regular tune up done on the vehicle if it hasn't been done in a while. Plugs, wires, fuel filter etc..