Mike, Mechanic
Experience:  Hi, I have been a Car/vehicle mechanic 34 years. 29of -running my own repair/diagnostic business.

Daewoo matiz: My Daewoo matiz 800cc 2002 failed its MOT today.

My Daewoo matiz 800cc 2002 failed its MOT today. Exhaust lambda reading failed after 2nd fast idle. The tester could not establish why- the engine management light is on. I'm trying to work out if it's worth getting the work done - does anyone know what the cause of the high emissions might be and how much it would cost to fix? It's done 32000 miles. How much will I have to find out what the problem is. Is it worth it? Also rear exhaust box needs replacing and both track rods dust covers need replacing.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to justanswer...

The clue - answer even , is with the engine management fault light being on.

WIth that on, some part of the engine management system is not operating properly and as such , an mot fail should be expected re emissions..

Very likely its a failing o2 / lambda sensor - but its impossible to guess at this stage im afraid..and therefore at costs too..

What you need to do, your next step if you want to progress with it , is to have a local garage, one that has suitable plug in diagnostic equipment... to plug in and do a fault code read /scan. This will show exactly why the fault light is on and hence the high emissions - and then, you can price the repair to cure the emissions failure.

So that is your next step now - the test should cost only around a half hours labour whatever they charge in your locale ..

That is the way to sort the emissions issues on this one.

By all means get back to me if you wish..

Meantime, please do click one of the OK smiley faces for me... Thank you. While the question will close, you can if you wish / need , come back to me as you have above... clicking one of the OK smilies does not close you out..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
failing o2 / lambda sensor - the MOT tester said that ... if it is, is that expensive to repair?
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Hello again..

Thank you for your reply..

Ok, yes.. There are many suppliers and a range of prices ..and qualities.. I would not suggest going for the cheapest.. Go for a quality one suchas Bosch or NGK units.... Cheap types ... Circa £20 can give troubles such as you have now..

Go to this link here... They will do you a good deal usually..

Just a tip.. Check the connector to the sensor for bad , corroded connectors or burned wire loom first.. And then go from there ..

Best rgds , MIKE.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks mike, will do.
Expert:  Mike replied 4 years ago.
Your very welcome..