Marty
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Mercedes Benz sl320: I have a 1995 Mercedes sl 320, the ASR

I have a 1995 Mercedes sl 320, the ASR comes on and will not disengage leaving me in constant LHM mode. I want to disable it completely. On a MB forum they said to go to the 38 pin diagnostic connector and jump pin # XXXXX to pin #1 and that would disable my ASR. In doing so, my dash cluster and all components on went out, lights and all, nothing worked. So I removed the jump wire and now when I put my right or left blinkers on or my dome lights my entire dash cluster lights went haywire and all gauges stopped working. Once I turned off the blinker or the dome light everything went back on. What have I done now and how do I correct it? Can I reset the computer to solve this? Please help.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist:
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, it sounds like when you installed the jumper you may have blown a fuse or blown a capacitor in the instrument cluster. I would like you to replace fuse 1, 5, 9, 12 and 16 in the main fuse box and see if that solves the problem. There might also be a fault in the ground circuit to the instrument cluster but let's try new fuses first. Even if the fuses are not blown they can still cause the problem if they are making a poor connection at their tips so you must remove and clean them at the very least. Let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Eurotec, perfect i did what you told me to do it fixed the dash great now can you tell me the best way to get out of LHM
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm glad everything worked out with the dash. Can you tell me a little more about the LHM symptoms? Does the ASR light come on as soon as you start the car?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, as soon as you step on the gas.
Expert:  Marty replied 2 years ago.
Hi, sorry for the delay I was at a 4th of July celebration. Your other questions are getting locked because they are duplicates of this question.

On your ASR problem the first thing that should be done is a diagnostic scan of the computers to get the fault codes that are stored for the ASR system. If the ASR light does not come on until you touch the throttle I would suspect either a faulty electronic throttle actuator or a faulty wiring harness. The 95 model SL had a notorious problem with the engine wiring harness and the throttle actuator harness shorting out. I have attached a picture of a throttle actuator below. You need to carefully slice open the harness on your actuator and see if you find a bunch of bare wires where the insulation has crumbled away. If you do then the throttle actuator needs to be replaced. The throttle actuator mounts below the intake manifold on this car. The main engine wiring harness can also deteriorate in the same way that the throttle harness can deteriorate so it must be inspected as well. Let me know if you have any more questions about this. I'll be glad to help.

graphic
Marty, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Eurotec -

You have definetly led us down the right path. Thank you very much. I'll let you know tomorrow if that is actually the problem. I'm thinking it is. Enjoy the rest of your Fourth of July, have a beer on us!