Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair

Last night my battery died - really truly and utterly died! Several good neighbors stoppe

Last night my battery died - really truly and utterly died! Several good neighbors stopped and tried to jump it for me and told me what to do - turn the key and rev the engine . . . today I got a new battery - car immediately starts over and over again ... but now a new problem: the car dies when running. Is is possible I damages the fuel injection or pump with all the revving of the dead car while trying to get it started the night before? Thank youf or your opinions ... "Crying and penniless in Sacramento" (you've heard of Sleepless in Seattle?)
Category: Car
Expert:  Mastertech1 replied 2 years ago.
I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING JUST ANSWER, AND FOR ALLOWING ME THE OPPORTUNITY TO ASSIST YOU WITH YOUR AUTOMOTIVE CONCERNS.How far have you driven the vehicle since you replaced the battery? How often does it die out, at stops all the time, or? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Took it out once - then back home (directly) about two miles. Dies all the time - sometimes immediately, sometimes after a minute or so.
When the battery was jump started, did the cable get connected backwards even for a split second, or when the new battery was installed?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't think so. As it just happens, the mechanic who installed the new battery just stopped by the house (I called them thinking perhaps he had loosened something when he put the battery in), he took it for a drive and gave me the following advice: says it is definately the fuel injection - a clog. He "revved it to 4 and held it there" and thenafter it seemed okay. He told me to go to Pep Boys and but some injection cleaner, put it in the fuel tank, and drive the car on the highway for about 10 miles. Does that sound right to you?
No, The fuel injectors would not be effected by the battery, Most likely what has happened is that the computer needed to relearn (when battery is removed, the memory in the computer is cleared) then you have to drive the vehicle for 1 to 20 miles for the computer to relearn things like idle control, transmission shift points, etc, What he did was basically performed a relearn on the computer, You dont need fuel injectors cleaned, Sometimes when performing a relearn, you have to raise the engine speed greatly and turn on and off a/c and drive for miles, then the computer stores the permiters, and vehicle will work correctly. Sounds like your vehicle has relearned and will be fine! Thanks,Please let me know if I can be of ant other assistance to you in the future!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I am going to run over to bank with the car right now and see how it goes. I will check in and rate upon my return. Thanks again!
Sounds good, Let me know!
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience: 30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Back from the bank and the car is running perfectly. While on the road I got a call from "fuel injector mechanic" asking me when the last time I had the spark plugs changes - told him what you shared with me and he said, "yea, well, I thought of that too but figured your car was too old for a memory issue." He was wrong and you were right - and saved me a bundle - wish I had it to give to you ... but you have my sincere gratitude and respect - and excellent service rating!!!!!
Thank-you very much, Have a great 4th of July!