proautotech
proautotech, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  College Training. Current Lead Tech
67965572

Mini Cooper S: 2006 Mini Cooper S, oil in engine but NOT CIRCULATING.

2006 Mini Cooper S, oil in engine but NOT CIRCULATING. Engine rattles, stalls, lots of metallic particles in the oil.
Thanks for trusting us with your problem. I have trained in the automotive field and currently work as a lead technician. I will be helping you today

You have a failure with the engine oil pump. When the engine does not get the pressure it will not circulate. It only takes a matter of seconds for damage to occur.

You will need a complete overhaul or engine replacement because of this condition.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions, thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How does "complete overhaul" jibe with "replacement"? I guess I'm asking what could be repaired or replaced such that a replacement will not be required? If the car still drives, is the engine going to be salvageable? What damage is likely to have occurred? Thanks.
Ok, with the metal and oil pump failure all of your engine bearings are bad. You will need to have the crankshaft checked if withing spec it will need to be turned oversized bearings installed. The pistons maybe ok but you will have to have the cylinder walls checked if excessive damage from the oil getting on the rings with metal you may have to end up boring out the cylinder installing new pistons. So it can become very costly..

You can replace the engine with a used one from local salvage yard, car-part.com or even ebay.com for much less with a warranty and not have to deal with such an unpredictable costly job. Hope this helps