Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.

ferrari Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet: i have a mondial t 89 the car

i have a mondial t 89 the car does not stay in gear i think it is a slipping clutch. it happens in all gears. also had some fluid leak ??? connected ??
how much to fix it ?

1st thing to investigate is the fluid leak as if its engine oil and the clutch is slipping then its possible that the oil has found its way onto the clutch plate - if this is the case then the friction plate of the clutch will need replacing I'm afraid

I'd suggest that the next step is to get under the car and see if you can spot the origin of the leak and what fluid it is

if the crank seal is leaking then the gearbox will have to come off to replace the oil seal
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i looked under the car (not easy) and it seemed to have a white pipe or hose hanging under where the shifter is. The oil has leaked in that area and what would it cost to do these items crank seal and or friction plate replacement? And lastly in your profession where is the incentive to not do a bearing job or take clutch out if not needed. That is more of a question of do you have any knowledge of someone who would be trustworthy.

If its engine oil thats leaked then a crank seal is about $80 in parts and another $200 for a clutch plate parts as you don't need to replace the whole clutch

allow for a day and a half labour to drop the gearbox and replace the parts and for doing the work the best route is nearly always to locate an independent Specialist in your area as dealer labour rates are somewhat ridiculous ( $1000 / hr)

If you let me know whereabouts in the country you are I'll try and locate a garage for you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am in the miricle mile part of los angeles area in hancock park

there are a couple of options, best to ring around and get the best price