The Audi Doctor
The Audi Doctor, Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience, 17 years with Audi, Factory trained

Land Rover Discovery II: Are 3 malfunctioning rear suspension

Are 3 malfunctioning rear suspension compressors in 2000 Discovery II ( in less than 4 years0 a design flaw?

Thank You for choosing Just Answer for your query. Let me see if I can help you.

3 compressors over that time period is excessive. I can imagine how frustrating that would be. I hope they have been replaced under warranty of the shop performing repairs.

This is much deeper than a one line question with a definitive answer, but I will do my best to assist you. The compressors do fail, but I can not say that it is because the design of the compressor is flawed. They do wear out and fail, but 3 in a four year period would not be typical. If the design was flawed all compressors in vehicles with this compressor would be failing at a similar rate, which is not the case.

Based on the abnormal failure rate your vehicle has experienced. We would first need to ascertain what specifically failed in the three compressors. Then based on the failure determine the likely cause, and investigate the possibilities. An example would be if the compressors were apparently worn out (not producing sufficient pressure) or overheated, it could be because there was a leak in the system. The compressor would run excessively trying to compensate and maintain system pressure. This could in turn overheat or prematurely wear out a compressor. If you have a “Pattern Failure” of a specific component on one vehicle, as apposed to the entire model line, the fault is likely unique to either the vehicle, the parts used to repair the vehicle, or the repair facility diagnosing and repairing the vehicle.

I think the best solution for you at this point would be to try and find a shop that specializes in Land Rovers. Land Rovers are unique in that they require a special Land Rover scanner to interrogate the various systems (including the suspension), tools and procedures to properly diagnose and repair. A shop that specializes in Land Rovers (more than just your Land Rover in the parking lot) would be familiar with the system, and have the proper tooling and knowledge to diagnose and repair your vehicle properly.

I hope I have answered your questions and addressed your concerns. Should you have further questions on this matter, please do not hesitate to ask. I want you to be 100% satisfied with my answer.

Positive feedback, referrals and bonuses are always APPRECIATED. If you accept my answer, please don’t forget to leave feedback.

Thank You!
Jake “The Auto Doctor”