Dave Nova
Dave Nova, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

RA - RB

Customer Question

what is wrong with my heating system when it only blows out the defroster?
Category: Car
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. The problem you are having is a common one. The mode controls (vent, floor, defrost) are vacuum controlled. Normally the problem is caused by a deteriorated or broken vacuum hose. This hose comes off the drivers side of the engine and runs across to the passenger side T fitting. See picture below. Vacuum line is the one shown with a dashed line.

graphic

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you.

Thank you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the info...BUT thats not it.The vaccuum line is intact.any other solutions?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
With engine running, move the controls in the van, do you hear any suction at the controls or behind the passenger side of the dash?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
nothing at all,just stays on the defrost setting
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
Check the option code label in the glove box. Do you have option code C42, C60, or C68?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no numbers in the box at all.i think its time to give up here...thanks for trying but I think I need my 29 dollars back
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
You can click the Help link at the bottom of the page to process your refund.