UltratechOne, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  General Automotive technician for 39 years. ASE certified. Shop Owner and MBA.

Suzuki Esteem: We own a 1998 Suzuki Esteem wagon. Last week

We own a 1998 Suzuki Esteem wagon. Last week it was a hot day and we filled the car up. Approximately 30 minutes later we thought we smelled gasoline. When we lifted the hood there was a clear liquid coming out of a small drain tube that does not appear to be connected to anything. I waited another 4 days and started the car, drove the car around the neighborhood and cannot reproduce what happened. The cooling system is working and the fan did come on so the engine is up to running temp. What could have caused this?

UltratechOne : Hello and thank you for the question. It sounds like the fluid escaping was coming from the radiator overflow tube. If so it would have been engine coolant. Its possible that it could have been a little over-full. This is the cooling sytems way of ridding itself of any excess. Having just filled the tank may be why you smelled gasoline. Do you continue to smell it or has it gone away now? If you no longer smell gas my bet is there is nothinv wrong and you wont have it happen again. Please let me know if you have any more questions about this and i will be happy to help! :)

I very much appreciate your answer. I figured since I could not reproduce it I was probably safe.

Why would the gas gauge show that gas was leaking?

what is the reason you think the gas gauge showing that it is leaking? if you think there is a possibility of a physical fuel leak we need to keep looking since that would obviously be unsafe. do you still smell gasoline? thanks, david. let me know and we'll get it fixed!