Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years

Geo Prizm LSi: On the 1990 Geo Prizm there is a section of

On the 1990 Geo Prizm there is a section of the exhaust pipe that is a metal mesh that is under the main part of the engine (not near the rear). When I move the pipe it brings the pipes closer together and the engine noise is reduced significantly. I want to prop the exhaust pipe up to keep the noise down and (I believe) maintain the efficiency of the exhaust system. Right now I am probably going to manufacturer a solid piece of metal that will bolt under the pipe lifting it up.
Two Things
One. Is this a good idea?
Two. What is the technical name for that part of the exhaust system that is located at the metal mesh?

temp fix to install a solid pipe is fine not permanent as the metal mesh piece is called a flexible braided pipe and that exhaust system needs to flex and if you leave that solid pipe it it will break within a month.the correct name is XXXXX XXXXX pipe for the part you need. # XXXXX in this picture.and most parts stores # XXXXX is part of # XXXXX part of the front pipe so you may have to get the front pipe with the braided mesh as one piecegraphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My plan was to allow the pipe to slide but stay supported so that the flexible braided pipe will cover more of the pipe and reduce the noise. This answers my question perfectly. Thank you.