Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

worked as mechanic for 20 years. replaced head gasket on 2.6l

Customer Question

worked as mechanic for 20 years. replaced head gasket on 2.6l now engine starts and runs for maybe 5 seconds. have checked and rechecked the timing belt, valve lash, fuel pressure dist. timing, ect. Is it possible I have missed a connection under the intake manifold?
Category: Car
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Name is Greg and i will assist you the best i can, please Only accept if you are happy with my answer.

You may have had the same that happened to me, so don't feel bad if you also have the same problem , the timing on this engine is done from Cylinder #4 so you timing could be out 180,Degrees.this one had me on the runaround as well .

Get back to me if this is not the issue .

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more", please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
Kind regards Greg.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I removed the timing belt cover and reasured that #4 was on TDC compression stroke the rechecked the timing marks. I should bring #4 to TDC and then install the distributor with rotor pointing at the #4 terminal in the cap, correct? This is going to be my hunt vehicle so i removed the smog pump and related vacuum lines. I plugged all ports not in use. Could this be causing a problem?
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
No don't think so we remove all this smog system over hear and have a better running engine with more power.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

So you do have it set up foe '4 cylinder is that correct ?

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
What is the compression like

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Regards Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did a compression test and can't remember the actual values. I do know that there was not more than a 10% variance on any of the cylinders. I can run another compression test and give you the values. I did some voltage testing last night. I installed a new battery last week. I load tested the battery and checked the voltage drop while trying to start the engine. It seems as though I have a dragging starter motor I think it should be turning over a lot faster. It turns over very slow like the battery is dead.
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.
Hi Chris

If the load test dropped below 9.6 volts replace the battery .

Greg
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It was right at 10 volts. Do think the starter could be dragging?
Expert:  Greg replied 2 years ago.

Chris the starter is dragging or the battery is bad ,lets say you have a good battery and it drags down to 10volts could be a bad starter.

Greg