Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIANCE, AUTO AND TRUCK,FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DIESEL
17454363

1993 plymouth acclain v6..stopping & turned..restart..lights come

I have a 1993 plymouth acclain v6 which starts properly (from time to time) & after stopping & turned off will not restart. I turn on the ignition switch & the dash board lights come on & when I turn the switch to the start position, everything goes BLANK & the engine does not start. The battery has been replaced & appears to be functioning normally, so I have had the ignition switch repaled & it worked for s short time & now I am back at SQUARE ONE. HELP
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX sounds like a bad starter, when they fail, it is usually after driving it and then shutting it off and letting it sit, then after a hot soak, the starter does not work, do you have a voltmeter or a test light? i can help you diagnos it,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello Tim. The starter was replaced within the last 6 months, my current problems began about 6 weeks ago. I haven't driven the car since this series of problems began as I never knew if it would restart so as to continue my journey. GOOD LUCK, Don
I have had new starter do this, do you havea test light or a volt meter, its easy to check?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tim I don't have either, but my son has all that equipment & is not available until this evening as he is at work. Don
ok, when you get a chance, drive the vehicle and get it hot, then let it sit until it wont start, then, at the starter, there are 2 wires going to it, one large and one small, check for 12 volts at the SMALL wire, when cranking to the start position, if it has power, but the starter does not turn over, then you have a bad spot in the armature of the starter, return for warranty,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tim, sorry for the delay in responding. We checked the starter while hooked up to the engine & the results were that the starter was OK. We then removed the starter & returned it to the provider for a bench test. To date we have neither the starter or the results of the bench test. When we get them I will be in touch with you ASAP. Thanks F. MacDonald
did you have 12 volts to the small wire when cranking?