gtnby2
gtnby2, Mechanic
Experience:  A.A.S in Industrial service technology

/C compressor can be hooked to an electric motor..gallons..10 minutes

I am trying to build a pump to collect used motor oil. I am wondering if a powersteering pump or A/C compressor can be hooked to an electric motor and be used to pump the oil from one place to another. I need to be able to move about 50 gallons in 10 minutes or less. It will need to be able to pull the oil thru a 50 ft hose.
Category: Car
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 2 years ago.
Hello, a power steering pump would work but if you are wanting something self contained, try a sump pump used for draining water from a basement or a sewage pump as it can handle smaller pieces of solid waste without clogging up.
NOTE: if you have more questions please ask them BEFORE you rate my service.. We can keep talking til you are satisfied...
Brad
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
A sump pump will not work. Most oil is in 55gal barrels so it will not fit thru the bung hole
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 2 years ago.

Ok, I Have seen some pumps That might be able to handle the viscosity of oil with a inlet/ outlet.. Fab up a quick disconnect and you're in business. Possibly this pump or This one. I'm assuming your wanting to keep cost down and these to are not to bad..

Brad

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For OIL they are no good. They pump about 30 GPH
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 2 years ago.
OK... to slow. If I may ask, where you wanting to do something custom, or to buy something out right? What's your budget?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
$150 or less. I have tried several different pumps. Even a gasoline pump. But all of them have turned out to be not good for oil. The only one so far that has worked was a hand crank barrel pump that I got from harbor Freight. but it wears me out to move 50 gals of oil.
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 2 years ago.
Ok. I bet it does!! How good are you at fabricating? remove the handle and put a gear or pully on it? It wouldn't take much to mount a 1x6 to the top of the bung spout and mount a motor and a love joy coupler to it and make it direct drive. or drive it with a 18 volt drill chucked to it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have actually already started working on that. My first attempt failed because I was pushing the oil thru the 50ft hose and it built to much pressure and blew the hose off the pump. Now I am trying to put the hose on the suction side of the pump and pull the oil thru the 50 ft hose.
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 2 years ago.

Good Idea I think... Easy to hook up, portable, and easy to replace if it goes south!!!

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I still need to know about a power steering pump ot AC compressor.
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 2 years ago.
An A/c compressor will not pull that heavy of a fluid but the power steering pump would. Don't think the flow rate would be high enough though. A good filter system would have to be used either way because if anything very big got in there it would trash it pretty quick.
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 2 years ago.
I gotta ask, why the steering pump or A/C? Just to see if you can do it? Just curious..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Because I believe the power steering pump can last longer. They work for years on cars without problem. also some can pressuize up to 1200psi. I just do not know if they can create a suction or if they just pressurize the oil that is supplied to them. A/C pumps can create a vaccuum and can pressurize upto about 300 psi. I just do not know if they can handle oil since Freon is a thin liguid to Gas.
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 2 years ago.
I see.. I would do a small scale experiment with the power steering pump... if the oil is very cold it might take a second to prime but it would pull it.
gtnby2, Mechanic
Experience: A.A.S in Industrial service technology
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 2 years ago.
Hello again, Just wanted to say "thank you" for the prompt payment and for the positive feedback. If you need any other help on projects please just ask.
Best Regards,
Brad