gtnby2
gtnby2, Mechanic
Experience:  A.A.S in Industrial service technology

Ford Ranger: tdi 4x4 crew cab..turbo actuator

I own a 1999, Ford Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x4 crew cab.
The turbo actuator ceased to work, the diaphram had a hole in it. so I have bought a 2nd hand one, & fitted it. Exactly as the old one.
The wastegate is free & moves easily, as far as I can tell the turbo is working perfectly, & it seems to generate a fair amount of pressure.
I have checked all the pipes on the pressure side, & found no leaks.
The problem is the actuator does not seem to work.
I can move it manualy, A the engine is running just fine, but when driveing along I have no VA-VA Voom !!!!
Have I missed somthing ???? it is so simple, All the pipes are in tip top condition.
Category: Car
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so you are saying that when you manually hold the actuator closed, boost is good but going down the road it feels like your not making boost or at least not full boost? Like the actuator is not closing completely?
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Actuator appears to normaly hold the wastegate in its (I presume) closed position.
I assume that as pressure builds up, then the actuator opens the wastegate, to dump excess pressure..... Dont ask me too much, I realy do not know how science of the system works....
If I take off the actuator, I can drive the truck easily enough, but it does not accelerate ove about 2500 rpm,unless going downhill, or the wind is behind it on a flatish road. Any hills, or load on, makes it realy slow & you have to keep useing the gears. in other words it is like driveing an OLD pre turbo truck.
I have set the gate at various settings with the actuator removed, & it makes no difference.
I can not figure out why the new actuator is not working
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me see if I can locate some more information on this... Im at work right now so it will be just a few... I appreciate your patience.
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I appreciate that we have a time difference.
I do need some sort of feed back.
Thanks, Cliff.
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay Cliff, I have been reading everything I can find on low power situations with your truck and I am now wondering if your wastegate is functioning properly. If you remove or plug the actuator, the engine should produce boost until it hit s the spring limit on the wastegate if what I'm reading is correct. Can you hear the wastegate "blowoff" when you rev it up and let off? do you have a boost gauge to see if pressure is really being produced? Again I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the delay... I'm just trying to find the most logical answer...

Brad

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi , thanks for the response.Smile
O.K. the engine runs just the same with, or without the actuator bolted to the turbo.
Are you famillier with the FORD/MAZDA engine layout--- do you have a workshop manual to look at ???
The new actuator that I fitted, is not working, pressure is going up the pipe to the actuator. If I remove the actuator control pipe from the outlet to inlet pipe there is definatly pressure in the pipe. It is possible to opperate the actuator manually, in situation so it is NOT ceased.
There is no spring that I am aware of on the wastegate, Should there be ???Surprised
It is impossible to drive the car & see what is going on in the engine.
Sorry but I do not have a boost gauge.Cry
I cant help thinking that there is somthing that is so simple, I have missed it.
I have been told to buy a new (or 2nd hand) turbo unit. but this is an expensive option, I can buy half a new car for the price.AND it does NOT appear that the turbo is broken.Undecided
Thanks for your time, I await your reply.
Happy Days !!!!!
Cliff.
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 1 year ago.
I agree with you on the turbo... I don't think that is it either. Sorry I don't have a manual on your vehicle. I was trying to do the generic tests to see if we could get it straight. I was thinking the wastegate had a spring inside to set boost level but that's after market... lock the wastegate closed to see if boost is evident... it will snort some when you let off but that will absolutely rule out the turbo and make sure the wastegate is closing all the way...
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 1 year ago.

Cliff, I noticed you where unhappy with my service... What can I do to serve you better so we can change your unsatisfactory experience to a positive one? I am putting honest effort into solving your issue. but it is a difficult problem to solve "long distance"..

Brad

gtnby2, Mechanic
Experience: A.A.S in Industrial service technology
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Brad,
Dont be upset, it is difficult to grade the response, as we have NOT sorted out the problem
Laughing
I have removed or played with just about every pipe there is, throughout the system, & with the engine running as well. I can not find any reason why the engine does not turboboost.
The reason I have contacted your organisation & paid, is to sort out this problem.
This so far has NOT been achieved, so how can I grade the rating other than honestly. How can I say that we--- got the job done---- When in fact the job is not done.
Undecided
If you can not answer the original question, by supplying a solution, prehaps you would know another expert.
We know that the turbo is running.
We know all the pipes are clear.
I have fitted a new pheumatic waste gate valve,.
The system appears to be perfectly normal, but does not tuboboost. WHY?????.
There are thousands of Ford Rangers out there, Somone must have had this problem before, & found a solution
Cool
I had hoped that you or your contacts in the trade/ organisation, would have a difinitive answer.
Happy Days.
Cliff.

Expert:  gtnby2 replied 1 year ago.
Hi Cliff, A new system was launched last week that changed the rating system and there has been a lot of issues with it. Please don't misunderstand, I don't want you to give an untrue rating, I just ask that the rating be given after we have finished and either decided it's a lost cause or I opt out and let another expert take over. It's not that your rating is untrue, it's that the new system is asking you to rate me BEFORE we have finished.... it's aggravating that's all... any way, back to the reason we are here!! Lol
Tdi Rangers are not available in the US so there is next to nothing on them here. Most of my research has been through european forums trying to learn more about how your system is set up.. one thing I was looking for was if the actuator was electric or vacuum... is there vacuum on the hose when the truck is running and does it change when you rev it up? If no vacuum, that will make it not operate the wastegate and prevent boost. Also, to make sure the diaphragm is ok in the actuator do the suck test on the port to see if it will hold vacuum or not..
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brad,
I have STILL not solved the problem..... & I do not know what to do next other than take the car to a Ford dealer, & pay an exhorbidant fee for maybe solveing the problem.
Have you sent me any new anwsers ???
I keep getting things to rate your replys------
Un fortunatly the problem is stiil not fixed. I have done everything you have suggested & more besides.
I have removed & replaced the fuel filter.
I have been on line myself to find out if any of the 4X4 sites have reported this problem.
I have also tried to find a workshop manual for this model to no effect.
So here goes again---- It MUST be somthing simple.
Have you found out anythig recently ?????
Happy days !!!!
cliff..
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Cliff, I thought for sure we had you lined out after so long.... Please give me a run down on everything you have attempted thus far.... I am making a list and taking it to a friend at the ford dealer here... Im going to pick his brains and try to get some free info from him so maybe you dont have to pay a dealer there.... Did you close the waste gate completely and wire it shut so it would not open to make sure it is producing boost? If it is, at least you will be able to drive it until we get the problem solved... I know you are about tired of this.... if I cant get it figured out by tomorrow, I will turn it over to the moderator.
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brad, I am driveing it at the moment,Allways have been,it drives fine. I have just done a 120 mile return trip---- it runs just great up to when the turbo is supposed to kick in.
I can get 70 MPH out of it (but no faster) in 5th gear on a little downhill incline, or a long flat .But that same slope will see me reduced to 40 MPH & 3rd or 4th gears going up, @ top revs of 2500 rpm.
It is allmost like fuel starvation---- but I can assure you, the fuel is running great.
I have no way of checking the solenoids, but there does seem to be pressure at the inlet side to them.
I ran the truck with the gate open, & shut---- No difference.
I took it into a small local Ford agency garage Had two mechanics look at it for 15 mins, & play with it----- They said to take it to the Main Dealer, 30 miles away,& have it connected to the computer. ( at vast expense), & a day off work,& I may have to leave it there untill it can be fixed.
So thats the story so far.
Happy Days !!!!!
Cliff.
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 1 year ago.
Its odd that it didnt make a difference with the gate open or closed. It should have made a big difference. If it is working, and you had it open (no boost), you should have been blowing major amounts of smoke out the tail pipe. Since you are not, I really question the fuel delivery. You really need to get a gauge on the fuel pressure to see where it is. If you had the gate open and full fuel it would have been smoking so bad you wouldn't be able to see. Get a gauge at the auto parts store. I'll see what I can find on what its supposed to be.
Brad
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Brad,
Wired the gate valve open, & driven 4 hrs to the airport & back---- No difference !!!
I have decided to take the truck into the Garage, I can not carry on driveing a truck with no VA VA VOOM !!!!!!!
Liveing in France is not the same as U.K.---- I have no idea where to get testing equipement off the shelf. We do not seem to have those type of shops here,especially where we live, out in the country side.
So Brad, I am afraid to say that this is one of those unresolved cases.
I will try & let you know what the result is, but it will not be for a couple of weeks, as I am far to busy to take the truck in right now.
All the best.
Cliff.
Expert:  gtnby2 replied 1 year ago.

Ok Cliff, I thank you for your patience while we worked on this. Sorry we could not get it resolved.

Take Care,

Brad